This drawing illustrating my battle with the trolls by CatieMonster totally made my day!
Below I've posted a few of the interviews and articles that have appeared in the last few days discussing this project, the recent attacks on me and some thoughtful commentary about online harassment in gaming and on the internet in general. (A word of warning before entering the comments in some of these articles)
• From Samus to Lara: An Interview With Anita Sarkeesian of Feminist Frequency Interview with Carolyn Petit - Gamespot
• How Anita Sarkeesian funded a project about video game sexism, and ignited an internet firestorm - PMSClan
• Dear Internet This Is Why You Can't Have Anything Nice - New Statesman
• Feminist Take on Games Draws Crude Ridicule, Massive Support - Wired
• Think sexism's OK in games, you may be in the wrong century - Guardian
• Online Misogyny: Can't Ignore It, Can't Not Ignore It - Slate
• Lara Croft battles male jerks - Salon
• Tropes Vs. Women In Video Games Vs. The Internet - Rock Paper Shotgun
• When There’s So Much Bullshit Online, You Forget How to Feel - Jezebel
• This Week In Harassment - The Borderhouse Blog
• Kickstarter Video Project Attracts Misogynist Horde - The Escapist
• Feminist Frequency Kickstarter project smashes target - Games Industry
• Backlash to the Feminist Frequency Kickstarter - Geek Feminism
• Awful Things Happen When You Try to Make a Video About Video Game Stereotypes - Kotaku
• The All-Too-Familiar Harassment Against Feminist Frequency, and What The Gaming Community Can Do About It - The Mary Sue
I'm totally overwhelmed with everything that's happening at the moment but I just want to reiterate that all your words of support, messages, comments, tweets and pledges have meant the world to me during this past week. Unfortunately, the harassment continues unabated but the outpouring of encouragement I've received from gamers, non-gamers and game developers alike gives me hope for the future of gaming!
I'd like to extend an extra big thank you to everyone for sticking with me and especially to those continuing to back this project amid the torrent of misogynist bullying and intense harassment. I'm overwhelmed and encouraged by the support from people of all genders. Every one of you is an inspiration to me in my determination to make this project as amazing as possible.
As you can probably imagine, over the past few days I have spent the
majority of my time dealing with all this ongoing harassment and trying
to secure and tighten up as much of my internet presence as I can. It
looks as if this type of backlash will be an unfortunate and continuing side effect of
this video series as we move forward. As some of you might be aware, in
addition to the threatening messages sent through, literally, all my
social media channels, the wikipedia page about me was vandalized last week (*Trigger Warning* that link is pretty disgusting!).
There have also been a few more alarming incidents over the past couple of days but I don't want to publicly disclose them for safety
reasons (but don't worry I'm still okay!). At the very least, this
story is being picked up and sparking some "discussion" on a few gaming blogs
like Destructoid, Kotaku, and The Escapist.
All of your support and pledges over the past few of days have gone above and beyond my wildest imagination! I also want to thank you for your comments and suggestions about possible future additions to the project. We have some exciting plans and ideas for how Tropes vs Women in Video Games is going to evolve from here. I'll be sure to post more details as soon as I have a moment to catch my breath!
pledged of $6,000 goal
seconds to go
May 17, 2012 - Jun 16, 2012 (30 days)
Pledge $1 or more
A big heartfelt thank you!Estimated delivery: Aug 2012
Pledge $10 or more
Your name credited as a donor on the Feminist Frequency website (plus a big heartfelt thank you!)Estimated delivery: Aug 2012
Pledge $25 or more
Your name in the video credits, a free high res digital download of the video series & access to some research materials. (Plus your name credited as a donor on the Feminist Frequency website and a big heartfelt thank you!)Estimated delivery: Aug 2012
Pledge $50 or more
A pack of custom designed stickers featuring a reimagined Zelda and Peach plus a few more with the Feminist Frequency logo! PLUS all of the above! (Check out Update #2 to see what the stickers look like!)Estimated delivery: Dec 2012
Pledge $100 or more
A random postcard from one of my many travels with a handwritten message from me. (Plus your name in the video credits and access to a free high res digital download of the video series, your name credited as a donor on the Feminist Frequency website and a big heartfelt thank you!)Estimated delivery: Aug 2012
Pledge $250 or more
A DVD copy of all Tropes vs. Women in Video Games episodes in the web series. PLUS all of the above!Estimated delivery: Dec 2012
Pledge $500 or more
A DVD set of the entire Feminist Frequency video collection. PLUS all of the above!Estimated delivery: Dec 2012