The FlatLight is an ultra-thin, super bright, fiber optic light, perfect for a purse or pocket, glove box or toolbox.
FlatLight as seen on...
The FlatLight is an ultra-thin, super bright, fiber optic light. Powered by two replaceable coin cell batteries, the FlatLight illuminates the way for up to 10 hours of continuous use. FlatLight is perfect for a purse or pocket, glove box or toolbox. It's just the right amount of light that you can see what you need without your eyes needing time to adjust. Patent Pending.
The flat surfaces and backlit logo of the FlatLight are perfect for graphic customization. Light the way to your business using a custom logo on a FlatLight. When it comes to promotional products, the FlatLight is a great way to advertise with a new and lasting product everyone will enjoy. Your marketing and branding would stand out and literally shine at a tradeshow.
The FlatLight is more than just a light, it has built in intelligence to optimize battery life while providing enough light to illuminate a room. The circuit board is designed to withstand typical use and abuse seen in a purse or in your back pocket.
FlatLight is more than your typical light. It uses an array of LEDs mounted on a flexible printed circuit board that transmit light into a flat fiber optic backlight. The backlight redirects and distributes the light to evenly emit from the lens. A specially configured processor controls the functions and controls the duty cycle of the LEDs so they run at a brighter level. The processor also gives the device the advantage of some additional features, including extended runtime, a sleep time out, duty cycle corrections, and low voltage shut off.
Credit Card Sized (51 x 91mm)
Thin Profile (<3.5mm)
Super Bright LED Backlight
10+ Hours of Continuous Usage
Photo Quality Graphics
Replaceable Batteries (CR 2016)
FlatLight is a convenient source of light for:
- Finding your keys after you've dropped them.
- Reading your book without disturbing your neighbor.
- Searching through your bag.
- Using as a map light in the car
Due to the investment in designs, development, and tooling, we need help purchasing the first order of FlatLights.
If you're interested in getting more than one FlatLight, just add $15 increments to your pledge (i.e. $20 + $15 + $15 = $50 for 3 FlatLights)
$20,000 - We’ll add an extra set of batteries for everyone who pledged for at least one FlatLight
Design and Manufacturing History
FlatLight started with the idea of creating the thinnest light possible and through many iterations, FlatLight was born. There are many challenges when designing smaller and smaller devices, this applies to making things thinner as well. Battery size and how the contacts will be arranged, position of LEDs relative to the fiber optics are just a couple of the challenges overcome in the FlatLight
The FlatLight has gone through a typical development cycle:
- Ideation Phase: Through a series of brainstorming sessions a bucket of ideas were collected and filtered. Initial sketches were made and out of this phase the idea of FlatLight was born, to create the thinnest light possible. A market study was performed to insure market placement
- Concept Phase: A feasibility study was conducted to evaluate hardware, software, integration, and tooling. A proof of concept was constructed with the basic elements of the FlatLight (fiber-optic back light and power source). It was tested for battery life and light intensity. Various sketches were created to evaluate the industrial design (look and feel). From this process a product brief was created to document form, fit and function. The CAD database was started as well to get initial space claim.
- Discovery Phase: A more detailed product specification was developed and the manufacturing partner was engaged for budgetary quotes, design for manufacturing and design for assembly. A rapid prototype was made to further evaluate the look and feel of the FlatLight.
- Development Phase: Mechanical samples were produced by the factory and evaluated, along with the circuit board and firmware. The packaging specifications were defined and verified with the factory. Remaining bugs were dis-positioned and correction plans were put in place.
- Pre-Production: A tooling PO was issued and the tooling plan was reviewed. A packaging review was completed to verify the FlatLight would survive typical shipping methods. A final bug scrub was completed and a quality control plan was put in place. A pilot production run of 50 pieces was used to verify the manufacturing process.
- Ramp & Production: Any low risk running changes will be rolled in to the design during ramp. Once the first order is filled, a first article inspection of all the design specifications will be done.
- Volume Production: Higher risk running changes will be rolled in during this phase. A review of the entire development cycle will be done and changes will be applied to the next product.
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
With the production tools approved (T1 and T2 parts have been inspected and verified), packaging design complete and the package tooling in process, the remaining risks are minimal.
Remaining tasks (most are done in parallel):
1. Inspect and verify packaging samples (1 week). If changes are needed, it should only take a week to modify the design and get the factory to sign off. Status - In Process
2. Setup product import channels and verify required documentation in in place (4 weeks). A sample shipment will use these channels to verify the process. Status - In Process
3. Develop shipping process for order fulfillment (2 weeks). A sample will be shipped domestically and internationally to verify the package is sized appropriately. Status - In Process
4. Verify the assembly process during the pre-production engineering build (1 week).
5. Verify the component purchasing channels are working correctly during production ramp. This will validate the component lead times and costs and allow for more accurate order times (1 week). Status - Not Started
6. Lead time to manufacture the first production lot (3 weeks). Status - Not Started
7. Quality control inspections, pack out and shipping preparation (1 week). Status - Not Started
The FlatLight design uses commonly used components to avoid part availability issues. It has also been thoroughly tested for functionality and shipping yielding a robust product.
We understand that as backers you would like to receive your rewards in a timely manner, so we have done our best to give realistic delivery dates to all of our rewards.
Add $5 to your pledge to have your FlatLight shipped to Canada.
The FlatLight ended up a little bigger than a credit card to achieve our specification and thickness was driven by the coin battery thickness. In future revisions, we'll look at reducing the size if possible.
pledged of $15,000 goal
seconds to go
Jan 14, 2013 - Feb 13, 2013 (30 days)
Pledge $5 or more
Thank you for your pledge towards releasing the FlatLight, in addition you’ll be mentioned on our website as a backer. Every time someone drops their keys in a dark alley and they pull out their trusty FlatLight, they’ll know it’s you who made it possible.Estimated delivery: Feb 2013
Pledge $15 or more
250 backers All gone!
EARLY BIRDS: One FlatLight and a Tater Tot Designs fridge magnet shipped a month before everyone else. You’ll also be mentioned on our website as a backer.Estimated delivery: Mar 2013Add $15 to ship outside the US
Pledge $20 or more
444 backers Limited (9056 of 9500 left)
One FlatLight and a Tater Tot Designs fridge magnet. You’ll also be mentioned on our website as a backer. Due to manufacturing limitations, we are limiting the April delivery to 9500 FlatLights.Estimated delivery: Apr 2013Add $15 to ship outside the US
Pledge $20 or more
One FlatLight and a Tater Tot Designs fridge magnet. You’ll also be mentioned on our website as a backer.Estimated delivery: May 2013Add $15 to ship outside the US
Pledge $25 or more
4 backers All gone!
MUNCHIES EDITION: When you’re ready for your 5th or 6th meal in the waning hours of darkness, what could be better than a $5.00 gift certificate to McDonald’s and a FlatLight to guide you by? Our Munchies Edition FlatLight package comes with: 1 FlatLight and 1 Gift Certificate to McDonaldsEstimated delivery: Apr 2013Add $15 to ship outside the US
Pledge $30 or more
7 backers Limited (18 of 25 left)
TATER SEAL OF APPROVAL: You'll get a Tater autographed seal of approval along with your FlatLightEstimated delivery: Apr 2013Add $15 to ship outside the US
Pledge $50 or more
3 backers Limited (22 of 25 left)
Limited Edition “First Date/Horror Movie” combo pack. Nothing brings more comfort from the tension and primordial fear of being in the dark than confidently drawing the saving glow of a FlatLight from your pocket to assuage the fear of your jittery date. Conversely, nothing is funnier than scaring the bejeezus out of said paramour after returning from the restroom wearing a scary mask illuminated by your FlatLight. Our Limited Edition “First Date/Horror Movie” FlatLight combo pack includes: 1 FlatLight, 1 scary mask.Estimated delivery: Apr 2013Add $15 to ship outside the US
Pledge $100 or more
1 backer Limited (1 of 2 left)
LUNCH TIME WALK WITH TATER: Meet Tater and give him a walk around the neighborhood. $100 pledge gets a 30 minute lunchtime walk and a FlatLightEstimated delivery: May 2013
Pledge $2,500 or more
0 backers Limited (2 of 2 left)
PORTLANDIA EDITION: Light your way through Portland with a FlatLight and a guided highlight tour of the greatest city in Oregon. We'll fly you in, set you up in a hotel for 2 nights and you'll get a tour of our telegenic hamlet. Reward includes: Domestic flight, 2 night hotel stay, guided tour and a FlatLight. No, we won't put a bird on it.Estimated delivery: May 2013Ships within the US only
Pledge $5,000 or more
0 backers Limited (5 of 5 left)
One custom FlatLight with your very own logo. Once the Kickstarter campaign is successful, we’ll contact you about what’s required to integrate your logo. This pledge covers the tooling charge for the custom logo and the sample pack, product orders would be discussed after the success of FlatLight. Please contact us before pledging this award.Estimated delivery: May 2013Add $15 to ship outside the US
Pledge $5,000 or more
One custom FlatLight with your very own logo. Once the Kickstarter campaign is successful, we’ll contact you about what’s required to integrate your logo. This pledge covers the tooling charge for the custom logo and the sample pack, product orders would be discussed after the success of FlatLight. Please contact us before pledging this award.Estimated delivery: Aug 2013Add $15 to ship outside the US