First of all, if you'd like to order a paperback package for $8 plus shipping, please send me a message by the end of the day on October 15, 2012. You'll be able to order the paperback after that, but you won't get the nice bonuses that I've made for these packages.
Next, here's a list of what I've accomplished since the KickStarter funded four months ago:
- Sent out survey to determine rewards
- Used survey to set goals
- Researched applicable tax information
- Legally set up Qol Press as an official press
- Filled out paperwork so that I can legally do business as Qol Press
- Set up contact information that I can give to readers without compromising my own safety
- Organized a CreateSpace account with all of this legal information so that I can be taxed appropriately
- Bought ISBNs for the entire series
- Assigned ISBNs for the paperback, epub, mobi, and pdf versions of the book while setting one aside for an audiobook
- Created an icon for Qol Press
- Commissioned interior artwork and maps
- Formalized the interior layout of the book (including margins, spacing, font size, page numbering, chapter breaks, etc.)
- Designed the cover layout
- Wrote the back blurb for the cover, leaving space for the review backer
- Formatted the finished artwork and made a number of design decisions
- Planned the paperback packages for interested backers
- Finished prepping paperback packages
- Sent out the book for editing to a number of experienced readers (people who work[ed] professionally as editors or writers)
- Worked with Open Book Audio to arrange the production of an audiobook
- Received feedback and rewrote several scenes
- Read the entire book out loud to check its flow
- Decided on appropriate placements for all artwork
- Formatted the text into paperback, epub, mobi, pdf, and txt versions
- Ordered a proof copy, made changes, and ordered a second proof copy
- Set up a detailed schedule covering the next two years to be sure the sequels release on time
- Made some revisions and rewrites to the latest draft of the sequel and sent it out to editors
- Rewrote 80 pages (and counting) of the third book in the series
- Wrote several short stories to experiment with other genres; one was accepted by an anthology, and another was accepted by an ezine
I also had some health issues going on throughout all this, but I'm well ahead of schedule despite physical therapy. I sent out the ebook to the review backer a month ago and checked in after two weeks, but I haven't yet heard back. I've offered the backer some alternate compensation, but I can't delay production on the books indefinitely, especially as they haven't even contacted me to ask for an extension. That wouldn't be fair to the rest of you.
This is the current plan:
- Today: Update paperback files and order final proof.
- October 1: Upload ebooks to various sites to test them. Make edits as necessary.
- October 18: Post a download link for ebooks in a backers-only post. (Offer mobi, epub, and pdf)
- October 25: Release the ebooks through normal distribution channels. (Proof pending, release the paperbacks, as well.)
- October 26: Send out surveys to the 27 backers who get trivia, stories, or post cards.
- November 2012 - March 2012: Fill rewards as backers respond to the surveys.
If all of you can get back to me with your survey responses fairly promptly, it's possible that I'll have all of your rewards completed by the end of the year. Of course, I won't want to rush any of your decisions; I'll just try to fulfill your requests as soon as I receive them.
In short, I'm on track to send out the ebooks two months ahead of when I promised them, with more art than I'd promised, and with a stretch reward that we didn't come close to hitting. It's taken a lot of work to get to this point, but I think it's been worth it. I'm also on track to release the rest of the series on or ahead of the schedule I set, so you won't have to wait long for the next installment.
All in all, things are coming together according to plan. None of this could have happened without all of you; I'm still in awe of your kindness and your generosity. This has honestly been a dream come true for me, and I have loved every minute of it--even when I spent a week of fourteen hour workdays formatting the ebooks, haha. I just wanted to thank you again. You're the reason that all of this has been possible. I hope that the final product I deliver meets your expectations.
If you're interested in reading it immediately, here is a sample of the first eight chapters. The same span of the book that I offered as a sample during the campaign, this time post-edit. The rest will follow soon!
As always, if you want to contact me, I'm always available at email@example.com to answer questions or address concerns.
Thank you so much for your support,