Thank you backers! New Recipes and Plenty of Bike Touring Goodness
Thank you, Pedal Inn backers!!! We’ve been so blown away by the support our project has received from all you wonderful food and bike lovers out there! We’re more excited than ever to get cookin for you. Without you we would only be sightseers but now we are on a mission: to spread the best recipes, stories, and advice on bike touring and camping we can—and in a format that matches the liveliness, quality, and goodness we seek on our adventures.
It’s been a madly busy month here as we prepare to embark on our summer tour and cookbook research and writing epic. We’ve been making Pedal Inn matchbooks and stickers (they look awesome and they’re headed your way soon!), getting geared up, working and reworking our bike kitchen, exploring wild food foraging, and testing our gear and some tasty new recipes on the road.
We’ve ventured out on 4 weekend tours to some strikingly beautiful destinations around San Francisco, including a sun-drenched and rousing ride up Mt. Tamalpais, a wild turkey invasion at China Camp State Park, a rain-soaked Sunday at Samuel P. Taylor Park, and a super-moonrise over Lake Del Valle. We’ve also met some great new friends along the way, many of whom are diehard cyclotourers—each with a different style, perspective, and way of getting around, and all with a wonderful spirit of adventure and generosity.
So in a way, it feels like we’re already on our grand tour. We can’t wait for the journey to begin in earnest, so we can really focus on riding and cooking and writing.
For now, to whet your chops, here are a couple of still-under-construction recipes we’re working on. They’ve already become at-home favorites, but we’re still perfecting them for the road (using different stove setups like our recently acquired Trangia alcohol stove, which we love!).
We hope you enjoy!
Japanese Red Lentil, Portobello Mushroom & Seaweed Stew
We really love this hearty, Japanese-style stew. It’s easy to make and the portobello mushrooms, seaweed and sesame oil provide a wallop of gourmet flavors sweet, salty, and umami. It’ll be one of those go to dishes you’ll want to cook and eat all the time while camping or at home.
· 2 Tbs. Sesame oil, toasted preferred
· 1 cup red lentils
· 3 cups water
· 2oz. dried portobello mushroom
· 1oz. seaweed,
· 4oz. extra firm tofu, cut into 1/2” cubes (optional)
· Soy sauce to taste, 1-2 Tbs.
· 3 large garlic cloves
· 1 medium-small onion
· 1 small sweet potato, halved lengthwise and sliced thinly (about 1/8” or as thin as you can get them)
· Pita bread (to compliment)
· Cheese to top, we like parmesan or feta (optional)
· Twist of lemon (optional)
1. Set stove to medium heat and add 2tbs. sesame oil
2. Chop onion and tofu and dice garlic cloves. Stir into oil.
3. Cook onions and garlic, stirring frequently, until semi-translucent and garlic and tofu take on a light golden brown color
4. Add in half soy sauce, scraping any onion or garlic that may have stuck to pan
5. Add dried portabello mushroom, cut or torn into desired size pieces, cooking in oil and soy sauce
6. Add cups of water, followed by lentils and seaweed
7. Bring to boil then simmer with lid on, for about 10 minutes.
8. Check consistency after 10 minutes noting tenderness of mushroom and lentils. Mushrooms should be spongy and not tough and lentils should be tender.
9. Add remaining soy sauce to taste
10.Serve with pita, top with cheese and/or a twist of lemon. Yum!
Barbarian Pedal Power Bar Recipe
Forgo the expensive, foil-wrapped calorie schmusch. This great Pedal Inn recipe has it all--crunchy, chewy, chocolately, healthy, packed with energy for the miles ahead, and ridiculously easy to make in your kitchen and throw in your handlebar bag.
· 1 cup coconut oil
· 3/4 cup honey
· 1 tsp lemon juice
· 2 cups whole wheat flour
· 1 cup oats
· 2 eggs
· 1/4 cup maple syrup (or substitute with more honey)
· 1 cup chopped walnuts (or your choice of nuts)
· 1 cup dark chocolate chips (or 7 oz bar, shaved)
· 1/2 cup chopped dates (or raisins, golden are great)
· 1/2 cup chopped dried mango (or apricot or other fruit of your choice)
· 1/2 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
· 2 tbsp sesame seeds (flax also works great!)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the coconut oil, 3/4-cup honey, and lemon juice until well blended. Combine the flour and oats, mix into the honey mixture. Spread evenly into the bottom of an ungreased 9x13” baking pan. Set aside while you prepare step 3.
3. In another bowl, beat eggs while pouring in 1/4-cup maple syrup. Stir in nuts, chocolate, dates, mango, coconut, and sesame seeds until they are evenly distributed and well coated. Spread over the crust in the pan.
4. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until center is set, and the top is lightly browned. Cool completely before cutting into bars.
Fried Cheese to the Rescue!
How often have you been camping with cheese that is sweating more than you climbing the Alpe d’Huez, with a consistency like limping butter? Fry that cheese! Crispy, delicious, requiring no extra oil and dare we say… healthier. Great to top almost any meal—throw it in a sandwich, put it top of eggs, crumble over dinner of any stripe… if you can wait that long! Plus, your greased pan is ready to go for the rest of your meal.
· Cheese thinly sliced – a medium-firm cheese such as cheddar, swiss, or mozzerella work best
· Spices to taste (or go naked, the classic!). Use what you have, we love cracked peper, garlic powder, and herbs de province.
1. Place cheese in a pan over low-medium heat .
2. Let cheese crisp and bubble, allowing to crisp and brown on 1 side before turning over 1-2 minutes per side, depending on mostiure and fat content of cheese.
3. Eat it while it’s hot!
seconds to go
Pledge $5 or moreYou selected
The Tricycle: Sweet Pedal Inn Schwag: custom designed and hand assembled Pedal Inn matchbox, exceedingly cool Pedal Inn headtube badge sticker, and thank you note. Plus, recognition on our website as a supporter. International backers add $2 for extra shipping costs.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $10 or moreYou selected
The BMX: Above, plus the digital edition of our pocket guide, The Pedal Inn Weekender: A Concise Guide to Adventuring and Indulgent Eating (iPhone + iPad, Mac + PC compatible)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $20 or moreYou selected
The Cruiser: Above, plus the print edition of our pocket guide, featuring beautiful original paper art designs and photography by Nick + Lindy.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $30 or moreYou selected
The Hybrid: Above, plus the digital edition of our cookbook (iPhone + iPad, Mac + PC compatible)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
The 10-Speed: Above, plus the signed print first edition of cookbook with 50+ original recipes, full of amazing photos, color paper art, insights, and stories from our adventure. International backers add $7 for extra shipping costs.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $70 or moreYou selected
The Fixie: Above, plus a large professional quality print of any photo in our web gallery or Flickr site featuring travel, bike, and food photography. Many more great photos to come! Also, a personalized post card from the road! International backers add $10 for extra shipping costs.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $100 or moreYou selected
The Mountain Bike: Above, plus a custom developed Pedal Inn recipe from our bike tour--just for you!--sent from the road by postcard.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $150 or moreYou selected
The Racer: Above, plus your Pedal Inn cookbook featuring an original paper art hard cover.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $300 or moreYou selected
The Loaded Touring Bike: Above, plus a custom dinner party by Nick + Lindy for you and five friends featuring original Pedal Inn recipes. (Proximal to San Francisco or along our tour route, coordination required)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $400 or moreYou selected
The Loaded Cargo Bike: ding, ding! Calling all bike shops, book stores, and bike + food loving businesses, this one is for you---> 15 copies of our Pedal Inn Cookbook and 15 copies of our Pedal Inn Pocket Guide to feature in your shop, sold on your terms.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $500 or moreYou selected
The Full Tour: The Loaded Touring Bike, plus a recipe inspired by your unique personality and tastes, named after you and featured in our cookbook.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $1,000 or moreYou selected
The Full Guided Tour: Meet us in San Francisco with your bike and we'll go on an overnight camping tour with you and a friend! We do the hauling and give a sampling of our wonderful cooking with recipes featured in our cookbook at a beautiful and proximal Bay Area location. Includes 2 copies of the cookbook and pocket guide, plus plenty of Pedal in schwag.Estimated delivery:
- (30 days)