i-voltmeter is a new, $40.00, open source, open app, voltmeter that transmits via Bluetooth wireless to cell phones, computers and pads
The First EVER Voltmeter with Bluetooth Technology for under $40 for Kickstarter pledges
The i-voltmeter is an electronic testing tool that can:-Diagnose electronic functions of anything you need to test
-Data log electronic events over time
-Remote view events with your smart phone
-Create Remote Triggers
-Use as an anti-theft device
-Measure electrical voltage, current & resistance
Now you can test a full spectrum of electronics with the diagnosis and data logging features of the iV. Other units cost upwards to $1000. Because it is Bluetooth enabled, you can unleash yourself from the testing device with the iV.
We have created it as an Open Source format, so anyone can design any type of App for the i-voltmeter device. The sky is the limit for what the iV can be used for.
Got an idea for an App on the iV? Let us know and buy a developers pledge and you can be on the ground floor before the product launch at the end of 2012.
Here is one comment/question interesting application by a potential customer " can I use your bluetooth V tool to rig my medicine cabinet so I get notified whenever a guest takes a peek? Perhaps it could trigger an announcement through the house, like at a party, that "Attention, Attention, A Guest is Currently Inspecticting the Master Bed Medicine Cabinet"" ,my answer yes it can....
• Untether yourself from the item you are testing.
• Great for data-logging. data-logging devices cost $$$$$$$$$
• Great for setting up trigger functions. These trigger functions can notify you once the condition is met.
• Great for remote viewing. For instance, when checking the wiring on a trailer attached to your car, how do you view the brake lights when you need to be in the car? The wireless i-voltmeter (iV) is great for this since it transmits typically 30 feet. (class 2)
• How about testing the defrost cycle in a refrigerator? The iV can be wired into a small space and send data to a computer and logging this information for a day or a week. In this way, you can determine if the defrost cycle comes on often enough and long enough.
• You can use it to trigger and notify you when a door or window is opened, a computer is moved or when a sump pump’s battery level gets too low. The notification can be via email or texting. You can get immediate notification that your house door has been opened.
(There are some issues with sending units to Europe, it needs a Bluetooth radio that is certified for Europe, this is expensive estimates over USD$30.000.00 If my funding is high enough I will do it. Else I will use a standard approved radio and send that, the increased cost of that approved radio is about $20.00 and shipping is an additional $15.00. That is why in the pledges it is $35.00 more for international.)
The i-voltmeter is a price-breakthrough device. Other Bluetooth
voltmeters out on the retail market sell for over $300.00 to $800.00. My
goal is to make a device that sells for under $60.00.
The i-voltmeter (TM) will transmit to your computers, phones, pads, tablets, and other handsets, and will have a triggering function as well as the ability to record data. This allows for not only remote monitoring, but continual data logging for intermittent events. It can send notification of over-voltage, low-voltage or any changed voltage.
It can be used
for alarms on a car, bicycle, safe, TV, boat, door, computer, and so on.
An i-voltmeter gives you the ability to remotely watch voltage, current,
resistance, contact closure, or temperature on a smartphone or
computer, and to data-log the information.
People will write apps for repairing and testing virtually anything electrical, including cars, motorcycles, appliances, computers, batteries, power supplies, . . . and you can put them on our website store to sell.
The i-Voltmeter (iV) is durable, plus very small. It is about 1 inch in diameter and 4 inches tall. Battery life on power save for monitoring a door is 1 year.
An Open-Source hardware project
The screen appearance can be user configured and possibilities of on-screen graphics are limitless. The iV transmits to a Bluetooth enabled device. Here are just a few examples of what apps can look like. We will provide the most common voltmeter apps for free.
If you write an App, we will post it and pay you 70% of the profits. See details below.
These apps can cover any repair problem and will be categorized and organized on our website for easy search access down to the model numbers. App developers can develop written instructions or create videos to show how to do the specific repair. You will rate the skill level needed. Your app will show how many downloads to date and a ranking score to determine page placement.
For initial pledges there will be a time frame your app will remain on the first page of that category of apps. For another pledge level get advance data protocol and beta releases of working units so you can have your app working when the first units are shipped. The longer your app is up on our site also determines the page positioning/ranking. Initial app developers receive 70% of the revenue the first year it is up and then equivalent to others.
Create your app today, make money and get in on the ground floor.
Spin the dial to change settings from VDC, to VAC, to resistance, to continuity, to alarm, to special functions you design. The iV allows for 999 Bluetooth addresses, you change the address and then read on the display to know your own Bluetooth address. This is an open source voltmeter, the first ever! Change the setting and it can become an open or closed contact to operate a relay.
It can even communicate via Bluetooth to multiple iVs that you have hard wired into your vehicle or home..
You can permanently attach the iV to a sensor or door for continuous monitoring via regular wire and the thumbscrews. Or remove the thumbscrews and plug in any standard banana leads. These standard size banana leads can be alligator clips, probes and so on.
People will write apps and put them in our web store for monitoring your car functions/sensors/battery while you are driving. You will be able to see real-time information on your dash. If you are experiencing an intermittent condition you will be able to see it real-time as it happens by just clipping the i-voltmeter onto your battery. This will tell you if it is your battery or your charging system. Clip it onto other car sensors and watch them as you drive with apps that are written by other users and available for a small fee from our website.
The i-V allows you to start the vehicle or just turn the key and see information all at the same time. For instance diesels have glow plug electronic systems that have problems all the time, and you have to sit there turn the key then wait for the light to turn off, and then turn the key to the next position, this way you can see in real-time, if there is power to the glow plugs while the light is on and what the voltage drop is. You can also make sure it is not turning on intermittently for no reason.
Repair apps for any situation can be written. Take a refrigerator that is not cooling properly . . . is it going into its defrost cycle, enough times a day? A proper debugging would require an expensive data logger. Now, clip the iV on and see if did it turn on 3 times a day and for the proper amount of time. Just an amateur home repairman? No problem! Professionals will design an app that will tell you where to hook it up for a specific fridge and what the in range parameters are. You will be able buy this low cost app on our website and watch their step by step tutorial on your phone or computer.
Is the relay in your washing machine kicking on? With the i-voltmeter you will know. And you can hook up several of them on different parts of the circuitry to look for cycle performance with the right app. Companies will be able to use these for reliability monitoring and testing of their new products and even use in their repair shop. Again, the intermittent failure items are the hardest to find and debug. This is a breakthrough price that will allow triggering, data logging and monitoring.
Another feature of the iV is its ability with an app to set an alarm condition. It will alert you by email on phone or computer (audible if you desire) if a set condition like no voltage to high voltage becomes apparent. One could also use it with an alarm app if someone removed your computer from your home or elsewhere. Just hook it to a $3.00 magnetic door sensor and watch for a change from closed to open circuit. Know remotely, when your front door was opened. How about using it to protect your bicycle or computer while at the coffee shop? Just attach the alligator clips around a fixed item like a chair, and if the computer is removed it will notify you if you stepped away. Or if you are riding your bicycle and just want a quick item in the store or coffee shop hook the clips through the bike tire or attach to the spokes. If protected item is moved or removed out of range you will be notified on your phone.
We will have various clips available, these are standard banana clips . . . from alligator termination to straight probe to battery clips and also probe kits including temperature.
We will achieve this low cost by not having a 4 or 6 decimal place accuracy for our low end model. We will have 2-3 decimal point accuracy which is fine for over 99% of the uses to fix things out there. We have seen low cost voltmeters sold for $19.95. We are adding the critical element, the Bluetooth. Generally Bluetooth adds a premium but we have a proprietary way to keep this cost very low. The inventor has been designing low cost high volume mass-market input devices including remote controls, for 25 years. Dean has been the Director of R&D at a Bay Area tech company, and VP of Engineering of an electronics tech firm in Chicago.
The i-voltmeter is an ideal tool, for several reasons:
Low cost! Eliminate repair bills!
• Works out of the box like any voltmeter with any Bluetooth device . . . computer, smart phone or pad.
• Allows people to submit apps with do-it-yourself videos/instructions for dummies at our on-line store in order to make money for complicated debugging that only the top repair people could do. This will make almost any repair possible by the home tinkerer.
• Allows you to effortlessly hook it up and watch data in real-time.
• Allows you to do traditionally expensive data logging.
• Allows you to have multiple i-voltmeters all sensing at one time and do event-timing.
• It increases efficiency, cuts your repair costs using expert apps for items you would have just thrown away because they were not worth fixing.
• Gives you a way to fix/debug intermittent problems.
• Lets you set up trigger events for notification. It can notify you via email or phone.
• Automotive gearheads may want several i-Voltmeters in order to simultaneously monitor various sensors/outputs in their car like they do with various gauges.
• Can be set to help prevent your safe, a TV, computer from being stolen. Can alarm anything including car, boat, construction equipment, and so on. It can email you upon change of any status. Can be used on RVs and boats to deter and sometimes prevent theft of items.
• Can be used in hotel rooms at the door or window for security. Women checked into a strange hotel have a way to set up a low cost alarm for door or window entry at night, and get this it will not only notify her but the app can be set to notify a friend, father, the significant other at the same time. Or monitor your car parked outside the hotel.
• Accessories that will be available are various probe types, battery packs for ultra long life, car and wall plug-in adapter, charging adapter, and temperature probes.
• Write your own apps and submit them to us. If we approve them, we will sell them on our site, and you can make money too. Buy the higher pledge amounts for the pre-release protocol of the data so when we begin selling, and you can have the head start on everyone else.
• apps for monitoring or fixing a Samsung model 1xg35 refrigerator.
• app for monitoring or fixing a fuel-mixture sender in a 1990 Ford F250.
• app for monitoring or fixing a water pump.
• app for a Sears model 6950 washing machine.
• app for a whirlpool model 3464 dryer.
• app for a cell phone or computer charger that is not working.
• app to know when someone opens the front door.
• app alarm to protect your TV, an open drawer, or other items at your house that are normally or always turned on, without having to turn the alarm on or off as you enter and leave your house.
All these in one small device and under $60.00 retail, and for Kickstarter supporters $40.00
• add-on-adapters for plugging into a car rechargeable-battery charger, for extended data logging.
• add-on-adapter for additional inputs.
• check automotive or home light bulbs to see if they are good.
• test power on/off in the fuse box circuit-breaker or an outlet while turning on circuit breaker.
Trailer lights not working? Hook the i-Volt to the trailer lights and the connector and sit in the vehicle, step on the brake pedal, and verify that there is voltage while you are in the drivers seat. You will not need two people! Easy checking of the light bulb and fuses.
• Is my computer power supply working? There will be an app for that. Is your Dell battery good or bad? There will be an app for that. These apps will have written documentation that shows how the average person can perform the test.
• A car with a charging problem?
• A diesel truck: Do the glow plugs turn on when they are supposed to? Here the problem is that you need to be in the driver’s seat, turning the key to see if the diesel on-light inside the truck is coming on and if it matches voltage at the same time at the glow plugs. This is easy with the i-voltmeter. Being un-tethered, you are able to watch the voltage drop and log it as you turn on the key for the glow plugs and the starter.
• A water pump for the home: Is it cycling incorrectly? You do not want to sit there day and night or week observing it! The i-voltmeter will solve this . . . for less than $40!
• Need to monitor a bunch of electrical functions? Hook up various i-Vs and give them different Bluetooth addresses and bring up a app with multiple gauges. Here is an example with it in the cradle.
Having a problem with your refrigerator coil freezing up? Hook up the i-Volt to the defrost coil connector, close the fridge and have it record data for a few days, and see if it is coming on and how long it stays coming on. Here’s is a fridge I fixed the hard way. I found the defrost cycle was not on long enough, so I put a resistor in series with the thermostat to keep the defrost on longer. This solved the problem. Some people have posted online that they have just given up and thrown these fridges away, when it was only 2 years old. With the i-Volt and the right repair app, it can be fixed with a 2-cent part, plus some aluminum, and a soldering iron! I posted this fix online. Below are the refrigerator coils.
How about a coffee shop app or bicycle app to stop your item from being stolen when it is nearby. Imagine you are in a small grocery store or coffee shop with your bike sitting outside out of view. You simply hook the iV leads through your item and a stationery item like the rack or a chair in the coffee shop. They will not be taking the chair out the door for that is too obvious. Even if they do it goes out of range and the alarm in your cell phone tells you.
• An IRLED and IR receiver are being built in so you can have future
apps like control your TV or program a timer that we will market. The
timer will be low cost about $19.95 and will be open source for
controlling 120VAC low power devices. Feel free to write that app
today, this too is open source. We are making this voltmeter to be an electronic Swiss knife.
• We will have an open and close contact, very low power that can be used to drive relays hooked up to the iV. We will provide the open source relay drive circuit with common parts available at radio shack. This contact can be set on trigger from voltage or resistance events or even just from your Bluetooth device. This can even be set to open/close a garage door from your cell phone for $40.00.
Money received from Kickstarter will be used for tooling the plastic, pcb design, electronics approvals, etc.. We cannot ship completed units until we have the necessary approvals from various agencies. We anticipate no problems with this and estimate that we will be able to ship units by next Christmas. (It could be much sooner . . . we are just being cautious!) The iV will be a really great Christmas present, so consider ordering extras!
Initially the i-Voltmeter will not be approved for Europe unless significant funds over the US requested amount are generated. Presently for a European approved Bluetooth, shipping and more costly parts will be an additional $35.00, so please pledge extra if you are from outside the USA! We may be able to send do-it-yourself kits to Europe and USA if various approvals are not in house by our estimated Christmas ship date . . . if you simply cannot wait to experience one! All you will have to do is just plug the unit into the radio board and you'll be good to go. Also, if we receive significant pledges we will be investigating a move up to a class one Bluetooth with a range of from 100-300 feet.
We have a website with the same information and other example apps at:
one more thing,
kickstart your day with an iVandfriends don't let friends drive without an iV...
a keyboard organizer with iV graphics. these graphics are not final for the t-shirt or keyboard. It is open source for users to submit a design that we approve.
Some have asked why Kickstarter, well with the keyboard organizer that won major industry awards, I learned the big box guys just are not going to let me on the shelf without huge demand. That lesson was one expensive lesson. With your pledges I can show that there is a demand for the iV product line.
Video craft by Daniel Dancer www.artforthesky.com
auto zero adjust
0-200mV to1000 VDC on the dial 3 settings
0-200 and 750 VAC 2 settings
0-200uA to 200mA 4 settings
0-2000k ohms 5 settings
readings 2-3 per second
pledged of $65,000 goal
Funding Canceled Funding for this project was canceled by the project creator on April 4, 2012.
Feb 13, 2012 - Apr 13, 2012 (60 days)
Pledge $5 or more
iV limited-edition post card with thanks for your support. You'll also be the first to know about new features and updates.Estimated delivery: May 2012
Pledge $10 or more
This is to clarify the shipping cost to Canada and Mexico. If shipping to Canada or Mexico a single iV you need to also pledge this shipping cost and not pay attention to the international cost. So this $10.00 is the cost for the first one and each additional add $5.00 for shipping to Canada and Mexico.. So this pledge is only the shipping cost to Canada and Mexico. This is an update to clarify the international shipping issue.Estimated delivery: Dec 2012
Pledge $25 or more
You'll get a special iV T-shirt that lets others know that you got on the bandwagon early. the theme is "kickstart your day with an iV" . Support us and be a part of a product that facilitates un-tethered repairing and testing. Shipping includedEstimated delivery: May 2012
Pledge $30 or more
0 backers Limited (100 of 100 left)
An award winning keyboard organizer signed by the inventor. Shipping included, International shipping add $15.00 shipping.Estimated delivery: Apr 2012
Pledge $40 or more
You are pre-ordering one i-voltmeter that will retail for $59.95, plus shipping within US is $5.00 and international $35.00.Estimated delivery: Dec 2012
Pledge $45 or more
international shipping issue.... Here is my explanation to my international cost. This is confusing. To ship to Europe I have to use a different bluetooth module at this point. This module that is certified in Europe costs an additional $20.00 over the cost of the USA certified one. And the shipping cost is estimated to be $15.00 to other than North America. If your iV unit is going to a country that requires CE certification add this pledge in for your shipment. Add $20.00 for each unit and the $15.00 for shipping the first and $5.00 for each unit if more than one for shipping. I hope this clarifies the international shipping issue on the below pledges. I can not change how the others are written, but this is an update so you know. If I hit very high volume I will get my own certification for Europe and USA on a custom chip and there will not be that charge. I will need an additional $100k to do a custom chip design and testing for certification to achieve this. But for now I can not add that additional cost to the USA market, I want this product to be under $40.00. If my sales go up in the usa I will redesign the chips at a later date.Estimated delivery: Dec 2012
Pledge $85 or more
You are pre-ordering one i-voltmeter and one custom printed keyboard organizer with a custom iV design on it as pictured at the end of the story -- Shipping included, intl add $40.00 (special note for international, $20.00 is the additional cost for a European Bluetooth radio and the shipping is $20.00 in this case of two products)Estimated delivery: Dec 2012
Pledge $100 or more
You are pre-ordering one i-Voltmeter and the preliminary Bluetooth data for app development. Shipping included, intl add $35.00Estimated delivery: Dec 2012
Pledge $125 or more
You are pre-ordering two i-Voltmeters and one custom printed keyboard organizer with a custom iV design on it. Shipping included, intl add $35.00Estimated delivery: Dec 2012
Pledge $160 or more
You are pre-ordering 4 i-Voltmeters. US shipping included. intl add $85.00 for European approved Bluetooth radios and shipping.Estimated delivery: Dec 2012
Pledge $180 or more
You are pre-ordering one i-Voltmeter and the preliminary Bluetooth data for app development. And you drop your artwork for a single Keyboard Organizer custom print. Shipping included, intl add $35.00Estimated delivery: Dec 2012
Pledge $200 or more
You are pre-ordering one i-Voltmeter and the preliminary Bluetooth data for app development. And one beta version of the i-voltmeter to be used for final app development just pcbs no plastic housing.. Shipping included, intl add $60.00Estimated delivery: Dec 2012
Pledge $300 or more
You are pre-ordering one i-Voltmeter and the preliminary Bluetooth data for app development. And one beta version of the i-voltmeter to be used for final app development just pcbs no plastic housing.. and 6 months of high ranking for one app. Shipping included, intl add $60.00Estimated delivery: Dec 2012
Pledge $400 or more
You are pre-ordering two i-Voltmeters and the preliminary Bluetooth data for app development. And one beta version of the i-voltmeter to be used for final app development just pcbs no plastic housing.. and 1 year of high ranking for one app. Shipping included, intl add $60.00Estimated delivery: Dec 2012
Pledge $500 or more
You are pre-ordering two i-Voltmeters and the preliminary Bluetooth data for app development. And one beta version of the i-voltmeter to be used for final app development just pcbs no plastic housing.. and 2 years of high ranking for one app. Shipping included, intl add $60.00Estimated delivery: Dec 2012
Pledge $1,000 or more
You are pre-ordering two i-Voltmeters and the preliminary Bluetooth data for app development. One alpha version of the i-voltmeter with no plastic housing. And one beta version of the I-voltmeter to be used for final app development just pcbs no plastic housing.. and 2 years of high ranking for 2 apps. Shipping included, intl add $80.00Estimated delivery: Dec 2012
Pledge $1,300 or more
Reseller package 40 i-Voltmeters. Have them in stock before any other retailer does. Shipping in USA included. International contact us, radio may be an additional $20.00 each for EU approval.Estimated delivery: Dec 2012
Pledge $2,000 or more
Reseller package 70 i-Voltmeters with custom labeling on them (your company name). Have them in stock before any other retailer does. Shipping included, intl contact us.Estimated delivery: Dec 2012
Pledge $5,000 or more
You are pre-ordering twenty i-Voltmeters with custom labeling on them (your company name) and the preliminary Bluetooth data for app development. One alpha version of the i-voltmeter with no plastic housing. And one beta version of the i-voltmeter to be used for final app development just pcbs no plastic housing.. and 3 years of high ranking for 10 apps. Express shipping included, intl add $200.00Estimated delivery: Dec 2012