6 Days and Starting Seeds
I can't believe this month has gone by so fast. You may notice I have only 6 days left to reach my goal. It may occur to you that it would take an Act of God to go from 7plusK to 25K in 6 days. However, not only am I extremely happy with the response that I've received, but I have a plan B.
I'm not going to sum it up for you just yet because some of the pieces still need to fall into place, but here are some important things to note;
You will not be charged for your pledge and you won't receive any GC's or other rewards (except the PDF's that I'm working on), the project as it stands will be cancelled. BUT...I can make some adjustments, work on my contact list and relaunch the project at a future date. I'm hoping for late August. The project will remain online and I will be able to post updates after the deadline, I just won't be able to accept funding until it's relaunched. I'll write more about this next weekend, in the meantime I've taken some pics that show you how to improvise a reasonable facsimile of a Cube so you can have some salad greens this summer.
So here is how to grow salad in an orange juice, or milk carton.
2 milk or juice cartons,
a flat board or tray measuring at least 8" x 8"
a piece of landscape cloth (what I've used) or old sheet measuring at least 9" x 14"
- First, moisten the potting soil. It helps to let it sit for awhile to absorb the water. It should be damp enough to squeeze into a ball that will hold it's shape, but not so wet that the water can be squeezed out.
- Then cut the top and bottom off the cartons,at the seams. Continue to cut into 2.5" sections. This yields 6 parts, 4 of which will form sides and the other 2 need to be cut at each seam to yield 8 dividers.
- Now put the cloth on top of the board (or tray) and the 4 wall sections on top of that. The cloth is there so you can lift the 4 units up if you need to move them. This will make more sense when the roots begin to develop.
- Fill the sections halfway with soil, to hold the inserts in place, position the inserts and then continue filling.
- Tamp the soil down a little, then sow the seeds (about a dozen seeds in each row). Mark the rows and then cover with about 1/4'" of soil.
- Now water the surface. I use a spray bottle for seedlings to keep from dislodging them, and to make sure I cover the whole area.
- Finally, keep them somewhere with a temperature range between 45 and 75 degrees until the seedlings sprout. This should be in 3 to 5 days, I'll post images when these seeds come up and let you know how long it took. And I'll be posting updates when they are ready to transplant.
seconds to go
Pledge $2 or moreYou selected
A PDF of how to make containers for seed starting from common household items. What works, what doesn't and why. How to modify and make adaptations so they do work. PLUS when, why and how to use peet and manure pots.
Pledge $5 or moreYou selected
A PDF of how to build a redwood box to grow salad greens. With dimensions, supply list and growing tips. And the PDF above.
Pledge $10 or moreYou selected
The PDF's shown above and 2 PACKS OF SEEDS! One of beautiful lettuces, and one of asian greens. I'll specify the variety mix on each pack.
Pledge $25 or moreYou selected
Your very own GROWcube! plus all of the above.
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
TWO GROWcubes!! plus all above
Pledge $250 or moreYou selected
A morning spent touring some special kitchen gardens or farmers market gardens in the Santa Fe/Taos area and then lunch at the best fresh food cafe we end up at. I'll provide a list of choices and we'll tailor the morning to suit your preferences.
Pledge $360 or moreYou selected
Once a month for a year I will choose three recipes that optimize your local, seasonal foods. We'll do a one hour phone consultation in the beginning of the year so I can know your food preferences and cooking abilities. Then I'll send the recipes on the first of each month and be available for another half hour phone consultation to walk you through the recipes, or help you find your best local produce, or read your best of 5 horoscope carefully chosen from 5 different newspapers.
Pledge $1,000 or moreYou selected
A tailor made reward combining any or all of the above choices.
- (32 days)