Veteran rock singer and composer Jonathan Kasper lays it all on the line with "In the Know," his explosive new rock album.
My name is Jonathan Kasper. I’m an independent artist making a new album, and I need your help to finish it. I've budgeted for the recording process, but there are so many more steps to take before it becomes a reality—mastering, art design, duplication, marketing.
For me, that time came in 2010, toward the end of my longtime tenure as lead singer in Zig Zag, a Nashville-based, Brit-rock cover band. Music began pouring out of me.
What was now emerging from my pen was emotionally powerful, straight-ahead rock & roll. Inspired by the music of the 60’s and 70’s, I was creating something contemporary and vibrant. Within 18 months, I’d composed enough material for six or seven albums.
I sorted through it and was soon in the recording studio, laying down the tracks which became In the Know. This music resounds with shameless, youthful incitements reminiscent of The Who. It soars with melodic, daredevil fun, evoking David Bowie, and it rings with the honesty and grit of Bruce Springsteen.
Now the moment has arrived. Together, we can bring In the Know to life and send it out into the world. I ask you to join me on this journey by supporting my Kickstarter campaign today. I only have 40 days to reach my goal.
Here are two ways you can partner with me:
First, choose one of the levels which appear on the right-hand side of this page. Each level is named after one of the 13 songs on my album and was specifically created for you, my friends, family and students. If you'd like to negotiate a combination of premiums, please contact me at Jonathan@KasperMusic.com and we can work it out.
Second, spread the word. Share it with everyone you know.
I’ll keep you updated. The only way this project can succeed is if we all get In the Know. From the bottom of my heart, I thank you. Rock on!
Jonathan Kasper, vocals
Jerry Kimbrough, audio guitar
Mark Chirico, video guitar
Doug Kahan, electric bass
Dann Sherrill, drums
Craig Hill, cinematographer
Josh Inocalla, video producer
Nancy Lee Andrews, album photographer
Crackerjack Design, band logo
Jazzmyn, cat cameo
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Creating and releasing an independent album, while staying true to myself, is a major challenge. There are important decisions to make and valuable relationships to nurture. At times, it feels as if the world is bearing down on me, but that’s when patience and perseverance come in handy. For any serious musical artist, it’s worth the struggle.
The biggest risk would be not making an album at all. How can I know where I stand if I never take leaps into the unknown? It’s all part of the soul’s journey. We can’t find the gold unless we search for it.
Being an independent artist means accepting responsibility for my music. Unless you’re one of the lucky few who has a record deal with a major label, doing it yourself is what it’s all about. Getting my music out there and maintaining a long-term presence takes a lot of commitment.
If my project doesn't reach its funding goal, I could risk losing a critical opportunity for promotion and radio airplay. I’d be back where I started—composing music for only a few to hear. It’s a challenge to remain positive throughout the process.
For me, it isn't simply about success. It’s about building a body of work which I can be proud of, and letting the people I care about hear what I have to offer. This album is a testament to my life’s work.
It all comes down to fighting through to the end. When all the dust settles, it’s not me against the world. It’s me living the life I was meant to live and being the artist I always imagined I could be.
I enjoy the Internet to read, listen and watch stuff, but I’m not comfortable making online purchases. Can I just write you a check?Kickstarter does not accept checks. My offline friends will be able to get the album after the campaign ends. Contact me at Jonathan@KasperMusic.com or via the "Contact me" link below the green button "Back This Project" at the top of this page. I'll make sure you get a copy of IN THE KNOW and/or FRAGILE HEART.
Please share my link with your friends. Someone you know may pledge to be a part of this project. Spreading the word would be a great help. I appreciate any support. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/335081298/rock-cd-in-the-know
I want everyone to be included in my official Kickstarter Backers list which remains online. Please do what you can to pledge before the campaign ends January 28, 11:31 am EST. Merchandise and services will still be available for purchase later.
I want to purchase summer camps and classes for my three kids, but I’d end up with three CDs, etc. Are you negotiable?
Yes. All the pledge levels are negotiable. We can custom fit something to your family’s style and budget. You’d just pay for one Basic Fan Package (Level #6), and then add the three camps (or whatever combination of premiums you’d like to receive). Email me at Jonathan@KasperMusic.com (or via my new website www.JonathanKasper.com), and we’ll work something out before the campaign ends.
We’d love to have you come play a house concert in Buffalo, but we wonder about the travel expense. Can you advise?Good news—I’ve gotten some bites at these pledge levels (#10-13) but no takers so far. So it’s gotten me thinking. It could help if a number of folks in Buffalo (or any city) want to pool their resources and share one pledge. Or, if I can schedule several performances (separate pledges) during the same trip, there’s no reason we couldn’t divide travel expenses among backers. And Mom, if you want a house party, the airfare is on me.
In an ideal world, yes. Musicians in Nashville are often out of town on tour, in town gigging, or booked in the recording studio. If Jerry, Doug or Dann are not available for travel dates, I’d make sure to get top-rate players to fill the spots. I’d still need to pay them for their preparation, rehearsal and performance time. Plus equipment cartage and rentals. If I can find excellent professional musicians in Buffalo (and I already know many), that would save you guys from having to pay travel expenses for the players.
There’s a story behind that, having to do with my writing songs at a breakneck pace. You know, as the song at pledge level #13 says, we all only have one life. None of us is going to live forever. And that’s not necessarily a bad thing. If you knew you only had six more weeks to live, what would you do? Probably everything you ever wanted to do. And at breakneck speed. Carpe diem.
pledged of $4,000 goal
seconds to go
Dec 19, 2012 - Jan 28, 2013 (40 days)
Pledge $10 or more
1) “Wake Up Your Soul” Level: Pre-release DIGITAL DOWNLOAD of the album.Estimated delivery: Feb 2013
Pledge $15 or more
2) “Lead Me to the Light” Level: SIGNED PROJECT POSTCARD, plus DIGITAL DOWNLOAD.Estimated delivery: Mar 2013
Pledge $25 or more
3) “In the Know” Level: SIGNED CD, plus SIGNED POSTCARD, plus DIGITAL DOWNLOAD.Estimated delivery: Mar 2013
Pledge $50 or more
4) “Done, Done Deal” Level: never-before-released, limited edition, all-original JAZZ/POP CD “Fragile Heart” recorded with acclaimed jazz pianist Beegie Adair, plus SIGNED CD "In the Know," plus SIGNED POSTCARD, plus DIGITAL DOWNLOAD.Estimated delivery: Mar 2013
Pledge $75 or more
5) “Feminist Girl” Level: limited edition SIGNED POSTER, plus JAZZ/POP CD “Fragile Heart,” plus SIGNED CD "In the Know," plus SIGNED POSTCARD, plus DIGITAL DOWNLOAD.Estimated delivery: Mar 2013
Pledge $100 or more
6) “Well, You Shouldn't Be Surprised” Level: POSTER with HANDWRITTEN SONG LYRICS, plus JAZZ/POP CD “Fragile Heart,” plus SIGNED CD "In the Know," plus SIGNED POSTCARD, plus DIGITAL DOWNLOAD.Estimated delivery: Mar 2013
Pledge $200 or more
7) “And That Look in Your Eyes” Level: SAME PREMIUMS as Level #6, plus TWO 2-hour KasperMusic SAMPLER CLASSES or VOCAL MASTER CLASSES for children or adults at KasperMusic Conservatory (Nashville, TN).Estimated delivery: Apr 2013
Pledge $300 or more
8) “Back on Track” Level: SAME PREMIUMS as Level #6, plus ONE week-long, summer MUSIC DAY CAMP for kids in Nashville, TN.Estimated delivery: Jun 2013
Pledge $400 or more
9) “My Old Friend, John” Level: SAME PREMIUMS as Level #6, plus FIVE Private or TEN Small Group 30-MINUTE LESSONS for children or adults: INSTRUCTION in Voice, Guitar, Piano, Songwriting; plus ONE 2-hour KasperMusic SAMPLER CLASS or VOCAL MASTER CLASS at KasperMusic Conservatory (Nashville, TN) or on Skype.Estimated delivery: May 2013
Pledge $500 or more
10) “Little Picture” Level: SAME PREMIUMS as Level #6, plus 60-minute SOLO PERFORMANCE acoustic house concert. Just me, my guitar, my songs (travel expenses extra outside Nashville).Estimated delivery: May 2013
Pledge $1,000 or more
11) “Carrie” Level: SAME PREMIUMS as Level #6, plus 90-minute SOLO PERFORMANCE house concert. Me and my guitar, plus SPECIALTY GUITARIST (travel expenses extra outside Nashville).Estimated delivery: May 2013
Pledge $2,000 or more
12) “No Freedom Train” Level: SAME PREMIUMS as Level #6, plus up to 2-hour LIVE PERFORMANCE at your home, business or charity event with FOUR-PIECE ROCK BAND including lead vocals, guitars, bass, drums (travel expenses extra outside Nashville).Estimated delivery: May 2013
Pledge $4,000 or more
13) “One Life” Level: Fund the project. THE PARTY IS YOURS. Create your own custom show, event, or party of a lifetime based on the offerings in the first 12 premium levels. Host a live performance or group songwriting workshop. Negotiate party favors from premiums #1-6 for up to 100 guests. Let’s talk and come up with something that fits your style!Estimated delivery: May 2013