Building Our Own Picket Fences is an interactive multi-media visual art exhibit in which artists explore the concept of queer family.
This proposal requests $5,000 to support Building Our Own White Picket Fences, an installation/exhibition by 6 bay area artists at the 1500 sq.ft. Michelle O’Connor Gallery in San Francisco, California presented by Femina Potens Art Gallery. This show will run October 28th-31st. Awarded funds will support the cost of gallery rental, promotional cards, art supplies, gallery reception, and compensate the artists and curator for their work.
Building Our Own White Picket Fences will consist of collaboratively created visual art pieces and installations that will offer Queer perspectives on traditional notions of family, marriage, and relationships. The gallery will be divided into separate plots of "land," on which each artist will create a vision of family and partnership that might be biological, conceptual, sexual, spiritual or political in nature. Artists may choose to create works based on a reflection of their own families, their own partnerships, or those that they have actively sought out in the queer community.
Each plot of land will have its own specific landscape, created by soil, grass, AstroTurf and various other materials. Each installation will also have its own "white picket fence" although these fences might be created in materials other than wood.
Each work will be experiential and interactive for the audience through the use of video, performance, soundscapes, and textiles.
The project will exhibit the work of Midori, Monica Canilao, Harrison Bartlett, Mev Luna, Amelia Reiff Hill and Madison Young; through out the run of the exhibition each artist’s work will be contextualized by performance and artist discussions.
This body of work will serve as a reflection of the experiences of the LGBT community relationships with their partners and families as well as create dialogue around family dynamics that exist outside of the box.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
pledged of $5,000 goal
seconds to go
Funding Unsuccessful This project reached the deadline without achieving its funding goal on December 2, 2011.
Oct 3, 2011 - Dec 2, 2011 (60 days)
Pledge $1 or more
Access to our projects blogEstimated delivery: Dec 2011
Pledge $15 or more
- Live streaming web access to view artists creating art works for the exhibit, installation of of the work, and the gallery opening.Estimated delivery: Dec 2011
Pledge $35 or more
- Dvd composed of footage of the artists interviews, art making process, & performancesEstimated delivery: Dec 2011
Pledge $50 or more
- Limited edition hand printed invitations to the opening - Backers only preview of the exhibit - A Special thank you on our donor wall, web site (www.feminapotens.org), & promotional materialsEstimated delivery: Dec 2011
Pledge $75 or more
- A special invitation to join artist Midori in a "plate smashing" party as part of the exhibit - A limited edition catalog consisting of photographs & artist statements from the exhibitEstimated delivery: Dec 2011
Pledge $125 or more
- An autographed plate from Midori's installationEstimated delivery: Dec 2011
Pledge $250 or more
- Madison Young will send you a "kiss" - Madison Young will send you a card with your name type written in its center and her lip stick mark surrounding your name. Each card will be signed and dated by the artist.Estimated delivery: Dec 2011
Pledge $500 or more
- Artist Madison Young will sing happy birthday to you over the phone on your birthday & send you a birthday cardEstimated delivery: Dec 2011
Pledge $1,000 or more
- A special invitation to join Madison Young at the exhibit in her performance work "Conversations In Bed w/ Madison Young" - live in San Francisco or via skypeEstimated delivery: Dec 2011