LINX: the drinking straw construction game.
LINX were created because I wanted a construction game that was cheap, flexible and light. With LINX you can build everything from ambitious room-sized structures to intricate table-top sculptures, all using LINX connectors and standard drinking straws. LINX are portable, less expensive than anything else around, and ultra light weight, so that even if your mammoth construction falls, no one gets hurt. Here are a few more reasons why LINX are awesome:
• Modular and Flat. The connectors come in flat grids which easily snap apart, intersect, and lock into place to create a three dimensional star shape to allow for more complex structures.
• Standard Straws. The connectors are designed to accommodate most standard straws that can be found in your local grocery, drug, or big-box store.
• Limitless Building. By cutting, bending, or using multiple colors of straws, the possibilities are endless. You can make highly organized geometric structures, or free-form tangles.
• Educational. Beyond being a fun way to spend an afternoon, LINX inspire creativity and give children an opportunity to develop their motor and spatial skills through hands-on play. If the campaign is successful, one of our first goals will be to get LINX in the hands of teachers and physical therapists.
• Sustainable. We are striving to make LINX as sustainable as possible. The connectors will be made out of a kid-friendly recycled or bio plastic in the US, and come in the most minimal of packaging. Additionally, LINX are designed to be manufactured with little or no waste, and we’ll be involved in every step of the process to ensure socially responsible practices.
Sounds great right? But without your help LINX won’t get off the ground. The LINX prototypes are complete, the materials and manufacturing research has been done, now all we need is your support to get the first production run going. The LINX connectors need to be injection molded, which has a very high setup cost. Your pledge will go toward creating the needed injection mold, developing packaging, and meeting our first minimum order quantity at the factory.
Please consider helping kickstart LINX by pledging at the $25 level and receive 5 LINX grids, thats 180 pieces, enough to make all of the constructions in the video and images below.
I know, $30,000 seems like a lot, but through my research and the advice I've been given, it is the right number. Just to give you an idea of some of the costs, the injection mold alone will cost between $10,000 and $20,000; crazy I know, but that's exactly why I need your help!
pledged of $30,000 goal
seconds to go
Feb 3, 2012 - Mar 4, 2012 (30 days)
Pledge $10 or more
Support me for the sake of it, because you think LINX are cool and deserve some attention. In exchange, you will get: My gratitude :) + your name on the Donor list on the upcoming LINX website, + my immaterial downloadable lamp, CLICK, that has received the I.D Magazine 2010 Annual Design Review Best of Category Award (www.blankbubble.com/click).Estimated delivery: Nov 2012
Pledge $25 or more
5 LINX grids (180 connectors) + straws to create fun constructions. Worldwide Shipping Included.Estimated delivery: Nov 2012
Pledge $50 or more
10 LINX grids (360 connectors) + straws to create fun and very cool constructions. Worldwide Shipping Included.Estimated delivery: Nov 2012
Pledge $100 or more
20 LINX grids (720 connectors) + straws to create fun, very cool and spectacular constructions. Worldwide Shipping Included.Estimated delivery: Nov 2012
Pledge $250 or more
50 LINX grids (1800 connectors) + straws to create fun, very cool, spectacular and mind blowing constructions. Worldwide Shipping Included.Estimated delivery: Nov 2012
Pledge $500 or more
50 LINX grids (1800 connectors) + straws + your name on the Special Donor list on the upcoming LINX website. Worldwide Shipping Included. 50 additional LINX grids (1800 connectors) + straws sent as a gift on your behalf. Worldwide Shipping Included. You can also choose to keep all 100 LINX grids (3600 connectors).Estimated delivery: Nov 2012
Pledge $1,000 or more
100 LINX grids (3600 connectors) + straws + your name on the Special Donor list on the upcoming LINX website. Worldwide Shipping Included. 150 additional LINX grids (5,400 connectors) + straws sent as a gift on your behalf. Worldwide Shipping Included.Estimated delivery: Nov 2012
Pledge $5,000 or more
1000 LINX grids (36000 connectors) + 150 FREE LINX grids (5,400 Connectors!) +your name on the Special Donor list on the upcoming LINX website. No straws. Worldwide Shipping Included.Estimated delivery: Nov 2012