A stranger hires a detective to find his girlfriend, but what's he really after? Modern noir about men, women, and the roles they play.
Summary: A stranger hires detective to find his ex-girlfriend. The man claims to be searching for love, but our heroine's true challenge is to determine what everyone is really after. A modern noir film about men, women, and the roles they play.
"Film noir is not about action and victory, but about incompetence and defeat. If it has a happy ending, something went wrong." - (Roger Ebert, "After Dark, My Sweet" review)
WE HIT OUR GOAL! I cannot thank you generous backers enough, and I am very excited about being able to make the film and give you your rewards.
Now what, you ask? Should you even bother to back the film? Please do! First, you know you are drooling over those rewards. Second, 5% of anything we raise over budget will go to Global Girls Media. Third, though $4,000 will cover all our necessary filming costs (see below), the project does have some other needs. Anything over our $4,000 goes to:
- Crew Expenses - Those amazing people willing to work 14-hour days? I'd love to at least cover their gas money to get from location to location.
- Marketing - Making DVDs/posters/websites, submitting to festivals, promoting the film, all costs. A lot.
- Your Rewards – Making DVDs, printing photos, shipping to you, these are things I'm willing to pay out-of-pocket for, but if I don't have to, that'd be almost as awesome as those of you who contribute!
The Maltese Falcon cost an estimated $4,000,000 dollars (IMDB, adjusted for inflation). The Lilith Necklace will be 15 minutes long. Every 15 minutes of The Maltese Falcon (100 minutes) would cost over $600,000.00 in today's money.
Why can I spend so little? Because my amazing cast and crew is donating time, expertise, and resources in return for credit and experience. Some are even taking vacation time from their day jobs! And they're good. My lead light guy helped light Obama's 2012 State of the Union address; my Director of Photography has worked on over 1,000 projects, many award-winning; every one involved with this project is good and constantly improving at what he or she does.
We want to make a spectacular film, and I want to treat my team well. Towards those two ends is where your money will go. Specifically:
- Food - A full crew is a happy crew. While some area businesses are giving us food for free or cheap, 15-40 people on any given day still takes a fair amount to properly feed.
- Equipment - My fantastic crew is bringing equipment with them, but we need to rent lights and stands, a dolly (for 2 days of shooting), dedicated hard drives, and a Follow Focus to make this movie a high quality production.
- Insurance - for equipment, for locations, for contingencies. Because stuff happens.
- Props/Wardrobe/Hair and Makeup/Incidentals - and lots of them!
The auto-fill powers-that-be allow for predetermined locations to be selected. Madison is where much of the principle photography will be, but Milwaukee is where I live and - pending a couple locations - where one of the six days of shooting will be.
We will also be holding a screening for backers in Milwaukee [I cannot edit the $10 reward to reflect this, but I will send an e-mail to all backers about its happening.]
Ever since the story was written in 2010, it has been my intent to film in black and white. Not only is this look faithful to the time period of most classic noir films, but it really allows light and shadows to stand out, and the imagination to play a little more than sometimes color films allow.
Nothing worthwhile, probably.
As for content:
- The characters smoke and drink as much as most paperback noir characters do - that is to say, more than most horizontal humans are capable of.
- Implied violence can be more powerful than overt violence. Also, violence can be expensive to film; gunfights may need permits, fistfights should ruin at least one large prop. Thus, anything larger than a scuffle will happen off-screen.
- The film strives to live by the letter of the Hays code, but not the spirit.
pledged of $4,000 goal
seconds to go
Mar 13, 2012 - Apr 18, 2012
Pledge $1 or more
Our undying gratitude, immortalized with a Thanks and your name as a backer on our website: www.thelilithnecklace.comEstimated delivery: May 2012
Pledge $10 or more
Exclusive access to the film before it is released. An invitation to an intimate screening of the film in Madison, WI, attended by the director and available cast/crew. The satisfaction of being a benefactor of the arts.Estimated delivery: Aug 2012
Pledge $25 or more
Everything above, plus a black-and-white 8x11 photo of the main characters, signed by the actors. A picture of elegance on your mantlepiece.Estimated delivery: Aug 2012
Pledge $50 or more
Everything above, plus a finished copy on DVD. Enjoy noir sophistication at any time.Estimated delivery: Aug 2012
Pledge $55 or more
NEW! A custom-made Lilith t-shirt designed, stenciled, and painted by the director. Each one will be different and unique. - Note: This is a stand-alone reward. Contact me if you would like to add it to any other level of reward, for example $65 for the shirt plus Level 1 rewards.Estimated delivery: Sep 2012
Pledge $75 or more
Everything above, plus a copy of the shooting script signed by cast and crew. If any of us get famous, feel free to sell it on Ebay.Estimated delivery: Sep 2012
Pledge $100 or more
Everything above, plus SPECIAL EDITION DVD - exclusive content, behind-the-scenes featurettes, deleted/alternate scenes, etc. Access to the dark and funny sides of filmmaking.Estimated delivery: Sep 2012
Pledge $150 or more
NEW! Everything above, plus a Skype call with the director. Ask what she learned while making the film, get or give scriptwriting advice, talk about the color you want to paint your house, anything at all! (redeem any time after May 16)Estimated delivery: Sep 2012
Pledge $200 or more
Everything above, plus a postcard from the director during production, and your name and special thanks in the credits. Some people work years in LA and don't even have that!Estimated delivery: Sep 2012
Pledge $350 or more
NEW! Everything above, plus a custom-made Lilith hoodie, designed, stenciled, and painted by the director. Be the only one in the world to have it. - [Message me if you want something different - like a wall or backpack or throw blanket or your jeans - painted. I'm open to ideas.]Estimated delivery: Sep 2012
Pledge $500 or more
1 backer Limited (2 of 3 left)
Everything above, plus executive producer credit in the film credits and on IMDB, a personal letter from the director, exclusive production photos, and an invitation to be an extra (May 10-15). Put yourself in the middle of the action.Estimated delivery: Sep 2012
Pledge $1,000 or more
0 backers Limited (2 of 2 left)
Everything above, plus a prop from the movie (you will be given a list to choose from), lunch with the director, and a character named after you (or a person of your choosing). The joy of being part of cinematic history.Estimated delivery: Sep 2012