Want to help change the lives of children who need it most? I'll help you get there.
Six months ago, while advising a friend on his Teach For America application, it dawned on me that there are very few readily available resources for potential applicants. Teach For America provides some advice, but I have found that it is often not comprehensive enough for prospective applicants to fully understand the process. The information that other people have posted online is only marginally helpful at best, and harmful at worst, to applicants looking for help.
So, I decided to write a book entitled Mastering the Teach For America Selection Process to help applicants build leadership skills, develop their application, and excel in the interviews.
I was in the corps and saw firsthand the impact that great teachers have on their students. Teach For America is one of the best ways to quickly gain exceptional training and enter a classroom. I believe wholeheartedly in its mission and vision, and in the current education landscape, we need the best and the brightest to apply, enter, and excel in the corps.
Check out my blog: Becoming Teach For America
1. Do you want to be in Teach For America? - I discuss why people apply, show a day in the life of two corps members, and offer questions readers should ask themselves to determine if Teach For America is the right fit.
2. Teach For America's Mission and Vision - Nothing is more important than understanding fully what Teach For America is striving to achieve.
3. The Qualities Teach For America Looks for - Teach For America has seven core qualities on which they evaluate their applicants. I explain each one in detail and discuss how applicants can build those qualities and present them effectively.
4. Developing the Skills to Become a Successful Corps Member - Dozens of corps members and alumni lend their candid insight about what they believe are the most important skills for getting accepted into TFA and excelling in the classroom.
5. The Recruitment Process - I give tips and advice on communicating with your local recruitment team, a critical first step in applying to Teach For America.
6. The Application Process - Strategically choosing an application deadline and understanding the full application process is more important than you might think.
7. The Application - In addition to helping navigate the application itself, I provide detailed guidelines on building a resume that appeals to Teach For America selectors and writing an exceptional letter of intent.
8. The Phone Interview - The phone interview is a crucial step in the application process. Knowing how to prepare for it is half the battle.
9. The Final Interview - The final interview lasts a full day and can be very intimidating. You will feel prepared for the 5 minute lesson, the discussion, and the 1 on 1 interview after completing my worksheets and step-by-step guides.
If you are applying to Teach For America and you follow the book from beginning to end, I can guarantee you will be ready for every step of the selection process.
Thank you for your interest in Mastering the Teach For America Selection Process, and thank you in advance for your support!
Yes! I recognize that many of my backers will not be applying to Teach For America, but may have friends, family members, or classmates who are applying. No matter what your pledge level, I am more than happy to send your copy of the book(s) and extend my application review to anyone you would like (within the continental U.S.). If you want to donate your copy of the book to a university or public library, we can certainly arrange that as well.
Of course not. Does Kaplan LSAT prep guarantee you will get accepted to Harvard Law School? Teach For America has a 10% acceptance rate; getting admitted is difficult no matter what you do. What I can guarantee, though, is that my book will prepare you for every step of the process, even if you are still 2 years from applying. Ultimately, it is up to you to develop leadership experiences and shine in the application process.
While I have both recruited for and taught with Teach For America, this book is not officially associated with Teach For America. The lessons I discuss in the book come from my own experiences and observations, along with countless hours of conversation with current TFA corps members, alumni, and staff.
pledged of $10,000 goal
seconds to go
Jul 7, 2012 - Aug 6, 2012 (30 days)
Pledge $5 or more
A huge thank you from me and everyone who benefits from this book down the line!Estimated delivery: Sep 2012
Pledge $15 or more
NEW REWARD!! You will get the book in ebook form once it is published.Estimated delivery: Sep 2012
Pledge $25 or more
A signed copy of the book, sent to you immediately upon releaseEstimated delivery: Sep 2012
Pledge $50 or more
An advance copy of the book, signed and sent to you one week before it is released to the public, along with a handwritten thank you noteEstimated delivery: Sep 2012
Pledge $100 or more
2 signed advance copies of the book, a shoutout on my website as a key supporter of the production of the book, and a handwritten thank you note. For prospective applicants or a designee who is applying (friend, family member, etc.), I will personally review your resume OR letter of intent.Estimated delivery: Sep 2012
Pledge $250 or more
Your name printed in the acknowledgements of the book, 3 signed advance copies of the book, a shoutout on my website, and a personal thank you phone call. For prospective applicants or a designee who is applying (friend, family member, etc.), I will personally review your resume AND letter of intent.Estimated delivery: Sep 2012
Pledge $1,000 or more
Your name highlighted in the book and my website, 10 signed advance copies of the book sent wherever you would like (libraries, college career centers, family members, friends, etc.), and a personal thank you phone call. For prospective applicants or a designee who is applying (friend, family member, etc.), I will personally review ALL application materials and help you develop your 5 minute lesson plan, including a critique of the lesson over Skype.Estimated delivery: Sep 2012