Make light do more with innovative Smart Bulb solutions that include auto-dimming, auto-off, four-level dimming, and emergency flashing
What’s a Smart Bulb? On and off is so 2012! Smart Bulb products make light do more … without buying dimmers and timers, and without hiring electricians to install them. Simply replace your regular bulbs with Smart Bulbs, and let the intelligence shine.
What is Smart? Smart is saving electricity, not wasting it. Smart is having greater control over the timing and level of your lights. Smart is light that solves problems and helps you alert others in case of an emergency. Using a patented computer technology, our light bulbs are programmed to perform a variety of functions that deliver added convenience and peace of mind – whether you’re looking to help your kids get to sleep, protect your home, or save energy and money.
Our Story … So Far Several years ago I became acquainted with a brilliant engineer who invented a microchip that could extend a light bulb’s life, as well as create amazing features to make light do more. I’ve been in the lighting business my entire career and this was something I had never seen before. We partnered up to develop a product that people can use in their homes to solve everyday problems.
We implanted the chip into the base of a Rocco lamp (I apologize for the industry jargon!) and discovered game-changing features to make life easier, including:
- A six-hour timer, without the need for an expensive timer or electrician to come to the home
- A flashing light, great for signaling for help in an emergency
- A light that turns itself off – a perfect solution for anyone who accidentally leaves closet, basement, garage, utility room or workshop lights on for hours or days at a time.
- A dimming feature that goes from full light to nightlight
- And an alternative to the impractical three-way bulb, with a four-way dimming bulb that will not burn out within a few weeks of use.
My brother and I lined up a manufacturing partner who produces bulbs for GE and Westinghouse Lighting, among others, and developed a manufacturing process that will produce the Rocco bulbs with the microchip in their base.
We lined up a longtime sales partner who has sold for Westinghouse Lighting and he is in charge of getting our bulbs in front of retailers. We have a small but dedicated marketing team who is working on building some basic materials – including our website and product packaging.
What do Smart Bulbs do?Our product line currently includes:
- 75 Watt Auto-dimming Nightlight: Millions of kids are convinced that something is lurking in the shadows of their bedrooms, and parents often turn to nightlights to help them overcome their fears. The Auto-dimming Nightlight acts like any ordinary light but, with a quick flick of the switch, this simple light bulb gradually dims over the course of 20 minutes. With this Smart Bulb, any light fixture can become a dimming nightlight without the hassle and expense of custom dimming solutions, and without the need for specialty nightlights.
- 60 Watt Emergency Flasher: Designed to fit in any standard indoor or outdoor light fixture, the Emergency Flasher Bulbs are ideal in an emergency situation, helping to guide police, firefighters, or medical personnel to your home. This Smart Bulb can help save your life or the life of a family member. Simply turn your light off and on twice to activate a flashing emergency signal that will alert neighbors and emergency responders that you may be in danger, and help guide them to your location.
- 60 Watt 10- & 30-minute Auto-off Bulbs: Created for the individuals in your family who always forget to turn the lights off in the closet, bathroom, or any other room in the home, the 10- and 30-Minute Auto-off Bulbs turn off automatically so you can save energy without the need for costly switches, unsightly timers, and inconvenient installations.
- 60 Watt 6-hour Timer Bulb: Working on a 24-hour cycle – six hours on, 18 hours off – this timer bulb is an easy but powerful home security solution.
- 4-level Dimmer: Features one filament and four different lighting levels: 100, 75, 50, and 25 watts. Unlike traditional three-way bulbs, our dimmer can be used in any standard base socket.
Manufacturing and production:
To ensure high-quality light bulbs and efficient production, Smart Bulb is partnering with one of the largest manufacturers of incandescent and halogen light bulbs for export throughout the world, JK Electric. With more than 1,200 full-time employees, 24 production lines and more than 1,500 various types of light bulbs being produced at the factory, JK Electric is making light bulbs for some of the biggest names in lighting, including General Electric and Westinghouse.
What won’t Smart Bulbs do?
Smart Bulbs won’t break into a million pieces if dropped. They are shatter-resistant.
Long Life Smart Bulbs use revolutionary “Soft Start” technology to extend the life of a bulb by three times or more. They are guaranteed to last for two years.
We need your help! We’ve conceptualized and designed six Smart Bulbs. We’ve engineered them and found a manufacturing partner. Now we need to distribute and market them, and that takes funding.
We’re so close to bringing Smart Bulb products to the people; help us make it a reality! Many Hands Make Light Work!
To keep up to date with news and information, follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/pages/Smart-Bulb
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
We strongly believe we’ve ironed out all the glitches and hiccups one would associate with bettering the light bulb we’ve all come to know. Our family has seen us go through hundreds of sample Smart Bulbs over the past several years. Now, we’re finally ready to share the product outside our homes and factory.
Our suppliers are trusted, long-time partners. We even visit their factory from time to time. They won’t fail us or you. We could even handle large or bulk orders at this time since we have the products in-hand.
The last obstacles ahead of us are distribution and marketing. Once people get our proprietary product in their hands, we know they’ll “see” the value in it. It’s already happened with our extended family and a few friends.
Help Smart Bulb become the custom lighting solution that will make light do more for you, and many others.
Our Smart bulbs have been tested primarily in 120 Volts (North America). Our bulbs have not been fully test on 220-240 volt.
All of our bulbs are incandescent and we are currently working on other bulb types, including LED’s, compact fluorescent lamps and Smart Lighting Fixtures.
nstead of a blast of light when you turn-on the light bulb, which destroys the filament over a period of time, the light intensity ramps-up gradually in a couple of seconds to full brightness. Once again, the software inside that miracle little chip on the bottom of the light bulb has magical features and light control.
Smart Bulbs have a tough coat, they are dipped in a special solution, to keep the glass envelop from breaking into a million pieces if they are dropped. This is a unique safety feature that makes the bulbs even feel safer than the traditional dumb bulb. You know you have a Smart Bulb in your hands by its unique shape and feel with no fear of them slipping out of your hands but if they do, they will just crack but stay together.
For safety reasons, they are shatter resistant and shatter proof and that exempts them from the law. They are a true specialty bulb, not like any other bulb ever made that have a built in timer and/or dimmer. They can be considered a timer or dimmer, the light secondary. These specialty features exempts them from the law.
Yes. Our Smart Bulbs have the ability to last, we estimate, up to 3x longer than traditional bulbs thanks to our Soft Start technology that controls the initial electric shock to the bulb’s filament. To be sure, Smart Bulbs are guaranteed for 2-years.
Only in the standard base, normal size socket. Sometimes called the “Edison” base. Not the small, candelabra base size, that is used in some of the fashion fixtures. The standard base is by far the most popular size.
Yes. The 4-level Smart Bulb dimmer can be used in any standard base socket. 3-way bulbs can only be used in special 3-way sockets and they are the poorest quality bulbs on the market. There are two filaments inside a 3-way bulb, one seems to burn out in a few hours and you are left with a one-way bulb at a 3-way cost. There is only one filament in a Smart Bulb and it is guaranteed for 2-years.
- First created · 0 backed
- Has not connected Facebook
Pledge $5 or moreYou selected
Receive a special thank-you tweet from Stan and you’ll be listed on our website as a contributor.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $15 or moreYou selected
14 backers Limited (486 left of 500)
One (1) Smart Bulb of your choice. Choose an Auto-dimming Nightlight, Auto-off, 4-level Dimming, or Emergency Flasher bulb. Includes shipping to the U.S.Estimated delivery:Add $10 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $20 or moreYou selected
11 backers Limited (239 left of 250)
(For International Backers) EARLY BIRD SPECIAL: Get $10 off any two (2) Smart Bulbs of your choice for being one of the first 500 backers! Includes shipping to the U.S.Estimated delivery:Add $10 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $20 or moreYou selected
25 backers Limited (475 left of 500)
EARLY BIRD SPECIAL: Get $10 off any two (2) Smart Bulbs of your choice for being one of the first 500 backers! Includes shipping to the U.S.Estimated delivery:Ships within the US only
Pledge $40 or moreYou selected
10 backers Limited (240 left of 250)
Smart Bulb Home Pack to replace those dumb bulbs in your house. You will get one (1) Emergency Flasher, one (1) 10-minute Auto-off Bulb, one (1) Auto-dimming Nightlight, and one (1) 4-level Dimmer. Includes shipping to the U.S.Estimated delivery:Add $10 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $75 or moreYou selected
19 backers Limited (231 left of 250)
Smart Bulb Sample Pack. You will receive our entire catalog of bulbs listed. Emergency Flasher,Auto-dimming Nightlight,10- and 30-minute Auto-off Bulbs,6-hour Timer Bulb, 4-level Dimmer.Estimated delivery:Add $15 USD to ship outside the US
Pledge $1,000 or moreYou selected
1 backer Limited (1 left of 2)
Smart Bulb Lunch: Receive one (1) of every Smart Bulb, personally delivered to you by Stan Angelo over lunch in Philadelphia. Stan will enlighten you on the technology of his Smart Bulbs and give you an overview of his company.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $5,000 or moreYou selected
1 backer All gone!
Smart Bulb Tour: Free travel and accommodations to tour the engineering plant with the design team.Estimated delivery:
- (30 days)