Help our wickedly funny theatre collective bring our awesome new play about the end of the world to the NYC & Philly Fringe Festivals!
The Serious Theatre Collective has recently written the following plays:
A) an original rock musical about sexual fetishism
B) a puppetry-and-burlesque musical reavealing the truth about urban myths and legends
C) a sketch comedy show featuring a motivational fur ownership speaker and a Guamanian doctor with a tumor tree
D) a raucous and insubordinate comedy about aliens, zombies and other hilarities of the end-times
E) all of the above.
If you selected "E," there are two things that should have become quickly self-evident: first, that you are a genius; and second, that the Serious Theatre Collective does not do what one would call “traditional theatre.”
WHY WE'RE AWESOME
Serious Theatre Collective/STC (www.theserioustheatrecollective.com) is a group of people whose mission is to make original, high-quality, affordable theater that is accessible, remarkably entertaining, surprising and fun. We do not balk at the opportunity to creatively stage dystopian shadow-orgies full of awkward sexual deviance. We are not afraid to write skits with mad dentists who use anger instead of Novocain. And you’ve never found a group of creatives more excited about finding the humor in zombie viruses, Biblical frog-pocalypses, and alien invasions.
WHAT WE'RE WORKING ON NOW
The Apocalypse of John is our latest play. John Darrian, a junior-level advertising associate terrified of everything, is charged with saving the world from aliens, zombies, and Satan himself in a hilarious comedy about the tragic end of all life on Earth. Written collaboratively by Serious Theatre Collective, The Apocalypse of John is an absurd look at coming to terms with your worst fears.
In November 2011, STC held a small, informal staged reading of The Apocalypse of John in a Lower East Side bar to a great deal of enthusiastic feedback. We have since revisited the material, and we would love to fully stage it as part of the FringeNYC 2012 Festival. Not only is the Fringe Festival a remarkable artistic celebration that would be a priceless opportunity for our team, but quite selfishly, participation in the lauded Fringe would expand our reach, help further legitimize our resume and collateral materials, and give us the chance to test our rare brand of comedy on an unknown audience alongside our small but faithful fan base.
WHY WE NEED YOUR HELP
We have the script, the actors, the puppets, and the chutzpah… but we still need the cash. Your donations will go toward providing travel and lodging for 12 (8 actors, 3 band members and the director), renting rehearsal and performance space, securing festival application fees, reimbursing production expenses, providing props and costumes, and other related expenditures. STC has budgeted and estimated that raising $2000 by 5/21/12 will fully fund a performance in the Philadelphia and New York Fringe Festivals.
WHAT WE WILL GIVE YOU IN RETURN
We have a detailed breakdown of ten sponsor levels, ranging from the opening levels of $1 and $10 sponsors—who will receive personalized thanks in the program at both the PA or NYC Fringe productions, status updates on the project with exclusive behind-the-scenes photos, acknowledgement of support in promotional materials, recognition in the theatre lobby, and permanent recognition on the company website—to mid-level sponsors who receive two (2) complimentary tickets to a performance of the show, a signed limited edition 8 x 10 production photo, a signed copy of the script, invitations to writers’ meetings and special rehearsals, and hand-drawn pictures and personalized songs from the cast and crew—up to Silver and Gold Level sponsors with sixteen total prizes, including a $100 bar tab, an invitation to the cast party, and a multi-course dinner made, served, and hosted by the STC.
Through this kickstarter and beyond, our aim is to support the creation and development of original work, both in process (ours a fully collaborative weekly writing and revision, a la Exquisite Corpse) and in product (as with The Apocalypse of John). We hope with this production, we can help people understand that although we at STC are unbelievably strange, we are also somehow wickedly intelligent. And if we can make you snort root beer out of your noses laughing at our jokes while we prove this… then rock and roll.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
pledged of $2,000 goal
seconds to go
Mar 22, 2012 - May 21, 2012 (60 days)
Pledge $1 or more
• Personalized thanks in program at both the Philadelphia and New York Fringe productions for the duration of the run • Pre-approval for the STC mailing list to receive status updates on the project, including electronic delivery of a minimum of ten (10) previously unpublished, behind-the-scenes photosEstimated delivery: Sep 2012
Pledge $10 or more
• All of the above • Acknowledgement of support in any promotional materials related to this production, including sincere thanks and recognition on signage in the theatre lobby of the New York and Philadelphia venue before each performance • Permanent acknowledgement on the “Supporters” page of our company website (www.theserioustheatrecollective.com), with credit as a featured Fringe sponsor. (You can choose to be an anonymous sponsor as well.) • Personalized STC thank you card for your donation, mailed via US Postal Service (not eligible for donations in Canada and abroad)Estimated delivery: Sep 2012
Pledge $25 or more
• All of the above • One (1) limited edition 8 x 10 print photo from the production, signed by the entire castEstimated delivery: Nov 2012
Pledge $50 or more
• All of the above • Two (2) complimentary tickets to a performance of the show on the date of your choice (travel and accommodation not included).Estimated delivery: Sep 2012
Pledge $75 or more
• All of the above • One (1) copy of the full manuscript of APOCALYPSE OF JOHN, signed by all participating writers and including a personalized note from the director.Estimated delivery: Oct 2012
Pledge $100 or more
• All of the above • Invitation for two (2) to an STC collective writers’ meeting, to be attended by a minimum of six (6) members of theatrical company, along with training and opportunity to either observe or participate in the STC collaborative writing process • Invitation for two (2) to sit in on a special rehearsal at your choice, followed by a 20-minute talk-back with the creative team and castEstimated delivery: Dec 2012
Pledge $125 or more
• All of the above up to $99 •Your name (first, last, middle, or a name of your choosing) to be incorporated into the name of the title character of the Serious Theatre Collective's next collabratively written play.Estimated delivery: Dec 2012
Pledge $200 or more
1 backer Limited (3 of 4 left)
• All of the above up to $99 • The oppurtunity to name one (1) character to be prominently featured in Serious Theatre Collective's next collabratively written play.Estimated delivery: Dec 2012
Pledge $250 or more
0 backers Limited (10 of 10 left)
• All of the above up to $99 • One 90-minute music lesson (piano) from STC Musical Director Ari Kessler, to be conducted in person or via Skype depending on location of individual and at the discretion of the STC OR • One (1) 5 x 7 hand-drawn picture an apocalypse of your choice by Philadelphia-based visual artist Ursula Stuby and/or STC Writer/Director Lizz LeiserEstimated delivery: Feb 2013
Pledge $500 or more
0 backers Limited (7 of 7 left)
• All of the above up to $99 • A serenade (in-person, phone, or via Skype, depending on location of individual) and an MP3 recording (or CD if that is the preferable format) of a personalized song written by the STC Artistic Team especially for you (or someone of your choosing, as designated) in the rhythmic and tonal style of your choice.Estimated delivery: Mar 2013
Pledge $750 or more
0 backers Limited (5 of 5 left)
• All of the above up to $99 • Invitation for you and up to two (2) guests to the traditional cast party on the closing night of either the Philadelphia or New York Fringe Festival production run, along with a $100 bar tab to be used at the designated venue (Note: should you not choose to redeem this gift in New York or Philadelphia during the run of the respective Fringe festival show, you are still eligible to receive a $100 bar tab at a bar of your choosing.)Estimated delivery: Sep 2012
Pledge $1,000 or more
0 backers Limited (3 of 3 left)
• All of the above up to $99 • Invitation for you and one (1) additional guest to attend a private multi-course dinner prepared by and including key members of the artistic team of THE APOCALYPSE OF JOHN, held at director Lizz Leiser’s, apartment in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn and including a minimum of four (4) cast members and/or STC writers who will each prepare their signature dish. The cast will also collectively serenade you during dessert with your choice of two (2) songs from six (6) original songs from the STC’s previous play, THE LEGEND OF JOHNNY 15, and seven (7) original songs from STC’s play PROFESSOR VON AWESOME, along with the original song from THE APOCALYPSE OF JOHN, “Kiss Your Ass Goodbye.”Estimated delivery: Jan 2013