Innovative Bluetooth Smart bicycle wheel sensor 360 times more accurate than any cycling sensor on the market.
Over 7 feet! Consequently, the speed is trailing behind and you can’t gauge your acceleration.
It's time to change it!
It started back in 2006. I was working as an IT consultant and often commuted from my home in Vancouver, BC to Seattle, WA. While driving on endless highway I noticed how inaccurate car speedometers are. We built a team of top-gun tech guys to find an innovative solution for much higher accuracy. By 2008 the first ultra-high precision Bluetooth laser sensor for the car wheel was created.
In 2009 quite a few track cyclists approached us with a similar problem - poor precision. So, we developed the new magnetic field sensor, first for track, then for road and mountain bikes. After all, if there is a wheel, we can measure its motion to 1° precision.
Early this year we released a PRO version with maximum functions including grade and power. However, we understand that not all of you want to break the Olympic record. The RIDER version, featured in this campaign, is a simple yet still highly accurate sensor. And, if you still want to break the Olympic record you can always upgrade the sensor to SPORT or PRO, with a simple over-the-air firmware update.
Great... why do I want one?
Do you want to feel thrilling acceleration and have instant powerful control over it? All you need is RIDER. For as much as 35% off (retails at $100). Your help gives us an opportunity to jump start the production. Your valuable contribution will be used to buy electronic components for the first production size batch.
This is not a prototype. We have tested the technology over 3 years at velodromes in Los Angeles, CA and Vancouver, BC, many road and mountain trials, and our own lab.
So, what VeloComputer 1° Precision Bluetooth Smart Sensor RIDER does for you?
- Measures distance in 1cm ( 1/2" ) increments 360 times more accurate than traditional cycling sensors
- Transmits data up to 15 times per second Increases responsiveness and reduce latency to less than a second
- Measures performance data with precision:
- time in 0.001 of a second
- distance in 0.01 of a meter
- speed in 0.01 of a kilometer (KMH) or a mile (MPH) per hour
- acceleration in 0.01 of a KMH or a MPH per second
- cadence 1 rotation per minute (RPM)
- Bluetooth 4.0 SMART (low energy)
- Replaceable 3 volt CR2032 coin cell battery lasts up to 200 hours
- Rigid and waterproof
- slope grade calculation in 1% increments
3-axis accelerometer recording X, Y and Z G-forces
- adds Power in 1 Watt increments
Get 8 Smart Sensors RIDER version and receive FREE VeloCoach Android tablet app to monitor the entire team.
For each pledge of a team pack we will donate one Sensor RIDER to a disabled athlete of your choice.
You need an app to use the sensor
VeloComputer app is available on iPhone 4S & 5, iPod Touch 5 and iPad with Bluetooth 4.0
We also have a working VeloComputer app on Moto RAZR with a special Bluetooth 4 API for Android.
We hope that Google will release support for Bluetooth 4.0 (low energy) soon and all current Android phones with Bluetooth 4 will be able to connect to the sensor.
Would you like to create your own app?
If you are a developer you can tap into Bluetooth Smart 1° Precision wheel revolution technology and invent new applications with the Software Developer Kit (SDK) for VeloComputer Bluetooth Smart Sensor.
The sensor is equipped with 3-D magnetometer and accelerometer. The 3-axis magnetometer is used to detect a magnetic field direction from a magnet on a wheel with 1° precision of a wheel revolution. This translates into 1 centimeter (1/2 inch) precision of a distance. The 3-axis accelerometer detects gravity forces which can be used to calculate slope grade, G-forces and detect a fall.
Software Developer Kit includes:
- One (1) VeloComputer Smart Sensor SDK version with updatable firmware over-the-air;
- Bluetooth 4.0 Smart communication protocol manual, developers guide with code samples;
- 6 months developer-to-developer detailed (code level) support to help you on every stage of your creative process;
- Listing at www.velocomputer.com
Other Ways You Can Help
Spread the word about us.
50 likes on Facebook or followers on Twitter will get you a cycling cap
100 likes a sensor
- If you have a power meter and can test VeloComputer PRO become our valuable tester and PRO community leader
- If you are a mountain biker and can test VeloComputer SPORT become our valuable tester and SPORT community leader
Many thanks to our small yet dedicated team: Bob, Dmitry, Eugene, Michael, Olia, Russell, Soren, Stan and Yuri. This wouldn't be possible without you.
Special Gratitude to:
- Dr. Herbert Baechler, Technical advisor for BMC Racing team, for insightful advice, testing and much more;
- Andy Rihs for being a patient investor;
- Julian Base, National track and road champion, for testing and valuable feedback;
- Roger Young, former US Olympic team coach, for coach's perspective advice and testing at LA velodrome;
- Kelly Smith, 2004 Paralympic Games Marathon champion, for testing and advising how to better use VeloComputer technology for disabled athletes;
- ...and all of our first adopters.
Thank you Kickstarter for making this campaign possible.
Vlad Savchenko, CEO @ SoundOfMotion
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
This is not a prototype. Early this year we released a PRO version with maximum functions including grade and power. The new RIDER version is based on our expertise manufacturing PRO version but doesn't have all "bells and whistles" which are available in PRO.
RIDER provides the same 1° Precision and measures your distance, speed, acceleration and cadence. Grade in power are available in SPORT and PRO versions.
We have a reliable manufacturer and the manufacturing and shipping process is taken care off.
If we do run into new challenges we'll update you promptly and take all actions to deliver the product to you on time.
To make ANT+ working not only we need to make ANT+ compatible sensor but also change software in Garmin ANT+ units to integrate VeloComputer profile. Only Garmin can do it. If you are Garmin user tell them that you want VeloComputer high precision sensor with your Garmin watch. We are offering SDK for such development and can talk about licensing model.
seconds to go
Pledge $1 or moreYou selected
Thank you for your support! We'll keep you with the exclusive up-to-date information on this new technology at www.velocomputer.comEstimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or moreYou selected
VeloComputer cycling cap. Thank you for your support with this unique Euro-Style Cycling Cap. Available colors: Indigo, Tangerine and Silver. Free shipping anywhere in the world.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $65 or moreYou selected
55 backers Limited (445 left of 500)
RIDER Morning bird. Receive One (1) VeloComputer Smart Sensor RIDER version - $100 retail value. Free shipping anywhere in the world.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $80 or moreYou selected
RIDER One. Receive One (1) VeloComputer Smart Sensor RIDER version - $100 retail value. Free shipping anywhere in the world.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $600 or moreYou selected
0 backers Limited (200 left of 200)
SDK. Create your own innovative applications or devices using this high precision wheel sensing technology. Software Developer Kit includes: One (1) VeloComputer Smart Sensor SDK version with updatable firmware over-the-air; Bluetooth 4.0 Smart communication protocol manual, developers guide with code samples; 6 months developer-to-developer (code level) support; listing at www.velocomputer.com Free shipping anywhere in the world.Estimated delivery:
- (24 days)