Dungeon Crawling Adventure In A Shadow World On The Brink Of A Supernatural War
Vampire Cities is an new type of location-based RPG in which you take on the role of a Vampire hero in a shadowy supernatural world. The game is a mashup of some of our favorite types of gameplay: RPG, Roguelike, Tower Defence, Crafting, Raids and entirely new features such as real-world locations. It features sprite graphics, chaotic visuals and a retro gaming feel in the style of some of the classic RPGs and 8-bit games we love.
- Endless Dungeons - Build up your Vampire’s skills and powers, complete missions, earn achievements, collect epic gear, loot, fight mobs, bosses and progress multiple characters through the game.
- Battlegrounds - Fight and compete against other players.
- Raids - Raid with guild members and uncover group content and locations.
- Real World Locations & Checkins - Visit the places you love in the real world and checkin to level up and complete missions.
- World Events - World, country, state and city wide events such as cthuloid, zombie and werewolf outbreaks.
- Special Locations - Multi-choice quest missions, infinite dungeons, mines, treasure rooms, random mobs and boss encounters.
- Capture Locations - Capture and become the Vampire lord of your city.
- Cross Platform - The action happens in the real world, played through browser on PCs, smartphones and tablets.
The shadow world of Vampires Cities exist alongside the world of man. Hidden in rumour, myth and misdirection the Vampires mask their existence from the daylight world of their human prey. However all is not as it appears. Mankind has many supernatural enemies. The shadow world is home to Zombies, Werewolves, Cthulhoids, Shades, Lichs and creatures far older and more dangerous that even these horrors. Some in the Vampire world seek to protect humanity and stand beside them against ancient horrors even Vampires fear.
Please Note - The above is an internal layout test for the design team. It represents a target of how we see the basic core elements. This is how the game might look on a tablet.
Vampire Cities is an experiment in using real world locations as a stage on which to set the action of the game, in the same way that MMOs use vast 3d worlds. Locations are a new part of the game design tool kit, and Vampire cities blends location with more traditional game elements:
- RPG - Character customisation, character progression, story mode, select and improve your vampire’s skills as you gain levels and progress through the game.
- Roguelike - Procedural and randomised mission progression. Location, bosses, mob artwork are randomly generated allowing for endless variation and replayability. Story, travel and special locations will have unique artwork.
- Tower Defense - Plan battle strategy, choose the right attack and defence tactics, weapons, gear and damage types against different monsters, mobs, bosses and waves.
- Crafting - Craft weapons, armor, furniture and consumables for your lair and character.
- Decorate Your Lair - Customise your vampire’s home with achievements, treasure, pets and decorations from your travels and your craft skills.
- Multiplayer - Recruit your friends for group missions and collaborate against tougher enemies with better mission rewards and join a guild for raids, dungeons and exploring epic locations.
Vampire Cities has been in production for 10 months. The first incarnation of Vampire Cities was to be a game with no graphical element - combat would be determined and the results shown to the player in text. We did a previous Kickstarter proposal based around that earlier design, and got a lot of great feedback which made it obvious to us that we needed to redesign the game. We cancelled the Kickstarter and got to work, and this proposal is the fruit of our labours since then. As the graphical element of the game was not part of the original design, we do not have that much ‘game’ to show - but we assure you we have done a lot of work on the backend, which is why this proposal is entirely feasible. Progress so far:
- HTML5 MVC game engine
- Full mission streaming / Mission timeline
- Geo-lookup using multiple methods (browser, GPS etc.)
- Full map integration for lookup and display
- Cross-platform checkin
We are a small all-volunteer team. This project started as a research project for us but has really caught our passion. Vampire Cities will continue production whether we meet our goals or not. However if we do hit our targets we will be able to hire some or all of the team full-time and we will also be able to make the game faster, develop more content and put the game out on more platforms. This is an idea of what we could achieve with various levels of funding.
Target - $10,000
- PC/MAC/Linux Browser Version - Fully tested & playable in the major desktop browsers.
- Storyline - Core storyline & multiple related quests and storylines.
- Character Classes - Vampire Ranger, Knight and Mage solo story and missions.
- Crafting - Craft and build equipment and consumables.
- Group Missions - Group gameplay and missions.
- World Events - Random world, city and state events such as zombie attacks in your town.
Potential Stretch Goals
- Mobile Browser Version - Fully Tested & Playable in mobile browsers - (Mobile & Tablet).
- Pet Lair - Expand your lair with a room for your pet.
- Class Lair Modifications - Expand your lair with bespoke rooms for each of the character classes, Archery Range for Archers, Wizard laboratory for Mages and Training Arena for Knights.
- iOS Version - Playable native apps for iOS on iPhone and iPad - (iOS).
- Android Version - Playable native app for android on mobile and tablet - (Android).
- Bonus Character Class - Playable Werewolf Barbarian Character.
Simple Lifeforms’ staff have worked in the games industry for many years and have come away from the experience with a core set of principles aimed at being fair, transparent and sustainable (and hopefully profitable):
- No Energy Bars, Ever - is this not the laziest game design mechanic of all time?
- No Paid Advantage - there are no items, skills or benefits that can be bought that can not be gained through playing the game (though it would take longer, obviously).
- We Listen To You - the customer is always right, that is, apart from when they are very wrong. We do our best to listen to the community and add the features you want. Game development is not a one way process.
- You Choose Where You Want To Play - We don’t make any exclusive deals with platform providers, so that if your device can browse the internet then you can play our games.
We realise that any support you choose to give us can only really be repaid by our commitment to make Vampire Cities a really fun and engaging game. Come check us out online and find out more about the Shadow World: www.vampirecities.com
Over the next few weeks we will update in detail about various aspects of the game.
- Week 1 - Who we are, what we want to do with the project, what is Vampire Cites.
- Week 2 - Gameplay (Core Mechanics, Missions , Character Classes).
- Week 3 - Lair (Customisation & Crafting).
- Week 4 - Crypt (Championing Locations).
- Week 5 - Maps (The Game World, Locations, Random Dungeons, Mining).
- Week 6 - Ending out, thanks, tears, future ideas (Shout Outs).
Vampires use blood to fuel their powers. The werewolf player characters would probably use an alternative rage mechanic. The barbarian would be short range DPS and close melee maybe either using dual weapons or some sort of fast claw attacks that gets stronger over time. He would need to be fairly different from the Vampire Knight which is a two handed tank that does a lot of DPS in the front row. So a good alternative would be a very fast melee class maybe even with super healing and fast recovery of power timers and cooldowns.
### Question ###
With the appearance of the Ouya gaming console (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console) will this game have console somewhere in its future?
### ANSWER ###
Yep we totally see Vampire Cities and our future location based games being played on Smart TVs and Games Consoles we love what Ouya are doing and will definitely have a version for the platform.
pledged of $10,000 goal
Funding Canceled Funding for this project was canceled by the project creator on August 7, 2012.
Jun 30, 2012 - Aug 10, 2012
Pledge $5 or more
* Starter Pack - includes Weapons, Armour, Consumables and Crafting Materials. * One Character Save Slot.Estimated delivery: Dec 2012
Pledge $10 or more
* Elite Starter Pack - includes Epic Weapons and Armour and a greater selection of Consumables and Crafting Materials. * Two Character Save Slots.Estimated delivery: Dec 2012
Pledge $20 or more
* Test group access. * Elite Starter Pack - includes Epic Weapons and Armour and a greater selection of Consumables and Crafting Materials. * Three Character Save Slots.Estimated delivery: Dec 2012
Pledge $50 or more
* Special Thanks - your name will be featured in the credits under the ‘special thanks’ section. * Test Group and Pre-Beta Access. * Elite Starter Pack - includes Epic Weapons and Armour and a greater selection of Consumables and Crafting Materials. * Three Character Save Slots.Estimated delivery: Dec 2012
Pledge $100 or more
* Design a Monster - Sit down with Lead Game Designer Ed Murphy and design a monster to appear in the game. * Game Credit - Your name in the credits under ‘Additional Game Design’. * Closed Beta and Tester Forum access. * Elite Starter Pack - includes Epic Weapons and Armour and a greater selection of Consumables and Crafting Materials. * Three Character Save Slots.Estimated delivery: Dec 2012
Pledge $250 or more
* Design a Boss - Sit Down with Lead Game Designer Ed Murphy and Design an end of level boss to appear in the game. * Game Credit - Your name in the credits under ‘Additional Game Design’. * Elite Starter Pack - includes Epic Weapons and Armour and a greater selection of Consumables and Crafting Materials. * Test Group and Pre-Beta Access. * Three Save Slots.Estimated delivery: Dec 2012
Pledge $1,000 or more
* Become The Vampire King Of Your City -Your character will be written into the backstory of the game, you have unique abilities (the ability to give daily buffs for example). * Game Credit - Your name in the credits under ‘Additional Game Design’. * Elite Starter Pack - includes Epic Weapons and Armour and a greater selection of Consumables and Crafting Materials. * Test Group and Pre-Beta Access. * Three Save Slots.Estimated delivery: Dec 2012