What story would a die-hard Chicago Cubs fan tell with a video camera and access to the team for over a quarter century?
Click on the photo of Harry and Tim to watch the video.
If you like the video please pledge today! We need your help to bring you this one of a kind film.
The award-winning documentary film “Hoop Dreams” followed Chicago prep basketball players William Gates and Arthur Agee for five years. Now imagine a documentary film that follows one die-hard fan and his favorite team over the course of nearly three decades.This is Boys of Spring- The Movie!
Nearly 30 years ago, Chicago Cubs fan, Tim Sheridan lucked into “the best job in the world” as the Cubs spring training P.A. announcer, and he immediately began documenting the exploits of his “Cubbies.” With one of the best seats in the house, Tim has captured the changing face of the Cubs from Ryne Sandberg all the way to Starlin Castro, and everything in between. He’s videotaped, photographed, and filled journals with what he’s heard and seen. And knowing there’s more to a team than the games they play, he also began interviewing those around him.
During the course of a baseball game, radio and TV announcers chatter away, painting a picture with descriptions, anecdotes, and statistics about what’s happening on the diamond. However one announcer is often silent during a game, that is until a batter comes to the plate. The prospective hitter is announced to fans over the stadium sound system and then the mic goes silent again. This is down time for Tim, but as the game continues, he watches and listens. He observes not just the game on the field, but also the fans, the vendors, the other announcers, the writers in the press box, and the unique atmosphere that is America’s favorite pastime. Now after nearly three decades of watching, listening, and documenting, the one announcer who says the least is finally telling the story of what he has seen and experienced on his journey with the iconic, hard-luck, Chicago Cubs. His story is Boys of Spring - The Movie!
The Boys of Spring documentary is full of behind the scenes, never-before-seen footage shot by Tim himself as he worked next to Cubs legends like Harry Caray and Ron Santo. Utilizing the latest graphics and effects, Boys of Spring delivers a compelling and innovative first person narrative that is fresh and hip, setting it apart from the usual sports documentaries. Incorporating his own video, still photographs and old movie film, Tim’s filmmaking style has been described as a cross between Ken Burns and the Coen Brothers. Tim’s combined knowledge and passion for the Cubs has resonated with fans over the years as the Cubs “Voice of Spring,” and he has his own following on the website boysofspring.com – all of which make him uniquely qualified to present this one-of-a-kind film.
The Boys of Spring documentary film follows Tim and his Cubs on a nearly 30 year journey as both he and the Cubs attempt to reach their ultimate dreams. Boys of Spring isn’t about a team winning or losing. It’s about something deeper. It’s an examination of life on its winding path and how, in spite of perceived failures, there is happiness and success. Tim’s experience with the Cubs is a story he always knew he’d one day tell -- and that day is now.
But we need your help to do it. By backing this project you will not only help Tim achieve his vision to tell this one-of-a-kind story that’s been in the making for almost three decades, you will also be a part of the Cubs legacy and history.
Take a look at what you will receive for helping us create Boys of Spring – The Movie and donate now!
Current Status - Your Help Needed
Our movie has been written and filmed over the course of many years including travel and location shooting. We have filmed and completed extensive interviews, all over the country. We are rounding third and headed for home but standing in our way are the costs associated with editing, post production, music, graphics and animation, along with licensing fees.
So far we have done everything ourselves on this project including producing, directing, cinematography, screenplay writing, and website design. None of the donations pledged will go to reimbursement or salaries of any kind.
Funds will go towards:
Sound design, edit and mix
Graphic effects and animation
Editing and Color Correction
Editing facility rental
Recording studio rental
Film clip licensing
Stock footage licensing
Still photo licensing
DVD Mastering and Replication
The DVD Package
The Boys of Spring DVD hard copy package consists of 2 discs: the 90 minute documentary film and a second disc with many extras including extended interviews, alternate and deleted scenes, and bonus never before seen Cubs footage. The package also includes one of six collectable Cubs postcards.
The Limited Edition DVD Package
The “Limited Edition” Boys of Spring Collectors Package. The “Limited Edition” is a numbered and signed Boys of Spring DVD package consisting of 2 discs; the 90 minute documentary film and a second disc with many extras including extended Cubs interviews, alternate and deleted scenes plus bonus never before seen Cubs footage.
Includes all SIX (6) in the series of collectible Cubs postcards.
Includes a numbered and autographed photo of Harry Caray and Tim together holding the 7th Inning stretch microphone. In case you were wondering the autograph will be Tim’s not Harry’s.
The Release Plans
Our plan is to screen Boys of Spring - The Movie at Cubs Convention, January 2012 as well as limited special event screenings in Illinois and Arizona. This will be followed by the release of the digital download and DVD package. Boys of Spring is bypassing theatrical release, in order to save on the large expense associated with a big screen release. Our goal is to get this story out to enjoy on DVD to as many people as possible.
One of the most critical elements in any film or documentary is the music; it can also be expensive. We are dedicated to bringing a dynamic musical score to the Boys of Spring documentary. Tim believes the artistry of music can convey as much emotion and inspiration as the visual elements and he’s looking for like minded artists to collaborate.
Are you a talented musician or have a group who also happen to be Cubs or baseball fans? Then we want to hear from you! We are looking for talent from Arizona and Illinois preferably, but if you’re a Cubs fan it really doesn’t matter where you live.
We have several original songs that have been composed for the film but are also looking for different sounds and styles of music to integrate into the score. So, if you believe in your talents or have a completed song about the Cubs that you think will add to our unique film please contact us at email@example.com.
Please Help Spread the Word!
We have limited days to reach our goal. Donate early and help spread the word to all your friends and Cubs fans. Every dollar donated puts us one notch closer to hitting our goal. The unique thing about Kickstarter is that we must reach our goal or else we don't receive any funds!
- DONATE TODAY
- TELL FRIENDS
- POST ON FACEBOOK
- TWEET IT
- BLOG IT
Who Was That in the Kickstarter Video?
Portions of interviews featured in our Kickstarter video (in order of appearance) are: former Cub and current WGN radio announcer Keith Moreland, former Cub Randy Hundley, Author Jim Vitti, former WGN Cubs radio play-by-play man Vince Lloyd, Cubs legend Ron Santo, Hall of Fame Cub Fergie Jenkins, Cubs TV play-by-play man Len Kasper, Current Cub Second Baseman Darwin Barney, Hall of Fame Cub Billy Williams, ESPN's Chris Berman, Hall of Fame Cub Ryne Sandberg. These are just short clips from some of our extensive filmed interviews.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
pledged of $50,000 goal
Funding Canceled Funding for this project was canceled by the project creator on August 18, 2011.
Jul 8, 2011 - Aug 23, 2011
Pledge $10 or more
• You’ll receive a digital download of the Boys of Spring feature length documentary film. • You will also receive the monthly exclusive Boys of Spring Sneak Peek movie email updates and exclusive video clips of the film as its being edited.
Pledge $25 or more
• You’ll receive the Boys of Spring DVD hard copy package. See full description in left column. • In addition, you will receive a DVD hard copy of “Vince Lloyd – The Voice of Summer”. The last filmed interview with longtime Cubs radio announcer Vince Lloyd. • You will also receive the monthly exclusive Boys of Spring Sneak Peek movie email updates and exclusive video clips of the film as its being edited.
Pledge $45 or more
• You'll receive TWO (2) Boys of Spring DVD hard copy packages, as described in left column. • You will also receive Tim’s official collectible baseball card. • You will also receive a DVD hard copy of “Vince Lloyd – The Voice of Summer”. • You will also receive the monthly exclusive Boys of Spring Sneak Peek movie email updates and exclusive video clips of the film as its being edited.
Pledge $125 or more
7 backers Limited (243 of 250 left)
• The “Limited Edition” Boys of Spring Collectors Package. See full description of Limited Edition package in left column. • Three (3) Boys of Spring DVD packages, as described in DVD package left column. • Big Thank You - a special on-line video thank you from the film’s creator. • Big Thank You Two - a written thank you on the Boys of Spring website and our Boys of Spring – The Movie, Facebook page. • Tim’s official collectable baseball card, and BOS Sneak Peak updates and videos.
Pledge $500 or more
Receive everything described in $125 level, plus: • Name in lights - MOVIE CREDITS! – We will thank you individually on-screen in the movie credits of the Boys of Spring film. • You will receive the official Boys of Spring movie poster, autographed by the film’s creator. • In addition, the Cubs Voice of Spring (Tim) will record a personal voicemail greeting for you. You write the script or choose from several options. (Recording time limit applies, no profanities, pornographic references, or negative Cubs bashing). • This level also includes a disc of Tim’s favorite Cubs and Cactus League photographs he’s taken over the years - this disc is not available for purchase ANYWHERE. • You will receive two (2) of the “Limited Edition” Boys of Spring Collectors Packages. (See full description in left column). • You will also receive four (4) more Boys of Spring DVD packages. • You will also receive Tim’s official collectible baseball card.
Pledge $1,000 or more
1 backer Limited (19 of 20 left)
• Personal Tour! - Tim Sheridan takes you on a personal tour of the Cubs current spring training sites Hohokam Stadium and Fitch Park this includes some of Tim’s never heard inside stories about the Cubs and Spring Training (travel not included). • Name in lights - MOVIE CREDITS! - See description in $500 level. • One of Tim’s authentic hand scored game score sheets, these are from an actual Cubs game he announced, they are also autographed for you by Tim. These include side notes such as the day’s temperature in AZ and Chicago. • Two (2) of the “Limited Edition” Boys of Spring Collectors Packages. See full description in left column. • You will also receive six (6) more Boys of Spring DVD packages, See full description in left column. • Limited edition photo disc (see $500 level for description). • Boys of Spring Movie Poster (see $500 level for description).
Pledge $3,000 or more
0 backers Limited (4 of 4 left)
Talk about a unique gift – Tim comes and announces the public address for your son or daughter’s little league game, your beer league slow pitch softball game, your college or high school baseball game, your minor league baseball game. Heck, he’ll announce your neighborhood Texas Hold-Em Poker game if you like. From Sandberg to Sosa to Starlin, Tim’s announced them all. Now he’ll be announcing you! Can you say Fukudooooome! If you don’t have a sound system, he’ll bring one. (United States only, must be used within 1 year from successful funding date)
Pledge $5,000 or more
0 backers Limited (5 of 5 left)
• Tim will come and talk to you or your company or group, telling about his experiences with the Cubs. His talk can be catered to your needs, whether it’s speaking on Ryne Sandberg, Harry Caray, Sammy Sosa, Ron Santo or the current team. He can also talk about his 25 year odyssey to make the Boys of Spring film. Or instead you can have Tim come spend the afternoon or evening with you and your friends watching a Cubs game. (United States only, must be used within 1 year from successful funding date) • A Ron Santo autographed Cubs Game Ticket (original and unused) from the final game at Old Hohokam Park before it was destroyed in 1996. This was an extra inning Cubs win that Ron and Pat Hughes announced. • Name in lights - MOVIE CREDITS! Description in $500 level. • Tim’s authentic hand scored game score sheet. Description in $1000 level. • Three (3) of the “Limited Edition” Boys of Spring Collectors Packages. See full description in left column. • Ten (10) more Boys of Spring DVD packages, See full description in left column. • Limited edition photo disc. Description in $500 level . • Boys of Spring autographed movie poster. • Exclusive BOS Sneak Peek movie email updates and video clips .
Pledge $10,000 or more
• Become a Producer! Receive Associate Producer credit for the feature film and in the movie profile on IMDB. As Associate Producer, your name will appear in the movie credits as Associate Producer and on promotional material.. • People Placement! Your family or loved one who helped (for better or worse) make you a Cubs fan will be forever immortalized in our documentary Cubs movie. A photograph of your Cubs fan will be strategically placed to ensure “screen time” in a movie scene. This could be an amazing gift and huge surprise for your die-hard Cubs fan husband or wife to have them in the Boys of Spring movie. • An invitation to an exclusive dinner and private screening with film’s creator in Phoenix or Chicago. (Travel not included) Or instead of the dinner and screening you can have Tim come spend the afternoon or evening with you and your friends watching a Cubs game. (United States only) • Tim’s authentic hand scored game score sheets, description in $1000 level. • Five (5) of the “Limited Edition” Boys of Spring Collectors Packages. See full description in left column. • Twenty (20) Boys of Spring DVD packages). • Limited edition photo disc. See full description in $500 level. • Boys of Spring autographed movie poster. • Exclusive BOS Sneak Peek movie email updates and video clips .