New reward - Limited Edition Box! More about combat
New reward - Limited Edition Box!
Many of you asked for it and we are happy to offer a Limited Edition Box of Legends of Eisenwald, together with Collector's Edition of Discord Times, digital art book, sound track and a booklet. The box will include 2 discs – one with the games and materials, another with sound track. And it still includes all previous rewards and it is included in higher level rewards.
Soon we will write in detail about the gameplay outside of battle. And for now in this update we talk in more details about our combat system to answer many questions that arose after the release of our combat video.
Battle field has fixed size that is show on the image below. Initially two squads are separated by an empty row. Each squad can have maximum 12 units that are placed in 3 rows. To place a unit into the second or the third row at least one unit has to be in the previous row. This makes initiative important in the beginning of a battle that allows to move into the central row and receive advantage in the number of attacking units since the middle row has 6 spaces.
Actions and moving of units are determined by 4 rules.
1) A close combat unit that is next to an enemy unit is considered engaged in combat and can attack only enemy units that are next to him.
2) Units have no points of move (“speed”). If a close combat unit is not engaged by an enemy unit, he can attack only the enemy unit a distance to which is minimal (if there are several of those units, he can choose any of them as target).
3) Archers and supporting units don’t move around the field attacking the enemy from their positions. If archers are engaged in close combat they receive a penalty. We think about a possibility of moving away from enemy close combat unit to be defended by own troops (if it is possible) but this rule is not formulated yet and it needs to be tested.
4) Any unit instead of attacking can use a special action that is available : to drink potion, activate an amulet, to defend with a shield, to regenerate mana, prepare to enhanced attack etc. After the special action a unit has to attack enemy in the next move (with the exception of supporting units if they don’t have enough mana).
Right now, it makes no difference if you attack the enemy from the front or from the back. We consider to make attacking from the back being different after we do some testing. It’s necessary to remember that a unit cannot run around the enemy to attack from the back and this opportunity will be present only in some fortunate cases.
Taking into account setting of the game, resurrection of a killed unit is rather problematic (and not always possible). But there is no need to be afraid – if you unit fell in a battle it doesn’t mean he was killed – he could be heavily wounded but still alive (it will also depend on the selected level of difficulty).
Since our combat is not based on randomness, the damage received by a unit from another unit is always the same in a specific situation and depends only on parameters of these units. The result of a battle depends only on your tactics and smarts. If during a battle you find out that you made a wrong move you can always replay that battle. If that didn’t help maybe you can achieve a victory if you change your initial disposition or equipment of your units.
To avoid prolongation of a battle when it’s clear that you won and to be more aligned with medieval reality, enemy in hopeless situation will escape from battle field or give up. Besides, a player can at any moment press a button “autocombat” to see the outcome of the battle as done by the game’s AI.
Units’ parameters and equipment
All units can be divided into three types: close combat units, archers and supporting units (priests, healers, mages).
Each unit has 6 basic parameters:
- Initiative that defines the order of moves in combat;
- Melee defense that defines how many points of damage a unit receives in close combat. Example: if enemy’s attack is 15, and melee defense of your unit is 5, you will receive 10 points of damage. And the minimal damage cannot be less than a fixed value (currently 5 points);
- Distant defense that works in a similar way;
- Magic defense that is calculated in percent and that defines how weakened will be enemy spells and curses.
One more parameter depends on the unit type:
- Close combat units – melee attack;
- Archers – shooting attack;
- Supporting units – mana. Mana is used to cast spells and can be partially restored if a unit skips a turn. A strength of a spell depends not on the amount of mana but on the level of a specific spell.
Other features of units are determined by different bonuses that give special capabilities both in a battle or traveling on a global map.
A significant part of units tuning is their equipment. Each unit can be equipped with different kind of armor and weapons. Also, each unit can have up to 4 different amulets and 4 bottles with potions. When a unit upgrades his levels, he can use better equipment and the amount of available to him weapon types increases. So, a simple militia man can be equipped with a pike, ax or a club. A knight can use a sword, two-handed sword, an ax, and also, he can use a horse. Each type of weapons has its own features, for example, it can ignore a part of armor, or it can stun an enemy unit.
We want to note that weapons, armor and equipment don’t break in battles and there is no need to repair them (Horses do not require food either :))
pledged of $50,000 goal
seconds to go
Apr 21, 2012 - May 22, 2012
Pledge $15 or more
Digital downloadable copy for PC. Plus, DRM-free Collectors Edition of Discord Times including never released before Map Editor.Estimated delivery: Oct 2012
Pledge $25 or more
Closed Beta test access and a chance to improve the game together with us. One more digital downloadable copy. Previous reward included.Estimated delivery: Oct 2012
Pledge $35 or more
Receive digital soundtrack and access to all future Legends of Eisenwald DLC content including new scenarios, Map Editor, new characters and inventory. Digital soundtrack will be delivered in October, everything else later. Previous rewards included.Estimated delivery: Oct 2012
Pledge $50 or more
Digital soundtrack and pdf art book. Previous rewards included.Estimated delivery: Oct 2012
Pledge $75 or more
A Limited Box Edition on two discs, including Legends of Eisenwald, Discord Times Collector's Edition, digital art book, and the soundtrack on a separate disc. Shipping included. Previous rewards included.Estimated delivery: Oct 2012
Pledge $100 or more
53 backers Limited (147 of 200 left)
Limited edition poster, special thank you in the credits. Previous rewards included. Shipping included.Estimated delivery: Sep 2012
Pledge $175 or more
12 backers Limited (188 of 200 left)
Signed Limited Edition Box. Same as $75 edition (two discs, including Legends of Eisenwald, Discord Times Collector's Edition, digital art book, and the soundtrack on a separate disc, a booklet), plus a signed photo of the team, a map on canvas, and a medieval style post card. Does not include $75 box. All other previous rewards included. Shipping includedEstimated delivery: Oct 2012
Pledge $200 or more
10 backers Limited (90 of 100 left)
Receive a knight’s badge. Previous rewards included. Shipping included.Estimated delivery: Sep 2012
Pledge $500 or more
3 backers Limited (27 of 30 left)
Medieval leather hand made pouch. Previous rewards included. Shipping included.Estimated delivery: Oct 2012
Pledge $2,000 or more
0 backers Limited (3 of 3 left)
Become an author of a legend! We will make a scenario based on your story or idea. You will receive writers credits. Previous rewards included. This does not include 3D character.Estimated delivery: Dec 2012
Pledge $2,000 or more
2 backers Limited (4 of 6 left)
Become a 3D character in the game! Our 3D designer and artist will create a character based on your picture. Previous rewards included. This does not include a scenario.Estimated delivery: Oct 2012
Pledge $9,555 or more
0 backers Limited (2 of 2 left)
Become an executive producer. Participate in major decisions regarding the game – game design, balance etc. We will do our best to include your ideas and wishes provided they don’t contradict the game concept. Also, you will receive a medieval encrusted sword with engraving. Previous rewards included. Shipping included.Estimated delivery: Dec 2012