Help give birth to the wild yet sweet, non-fiction tale of a guy and his goat, struggling to remain in New Orleans after hurricane Katrina, and more.
I am a journalist, musician and three time published author, living in New Orleans, Louisiana for the last nine years. In the year after Katrina I wrote TRANSPORT INSTINCT, about evacuating with my pet pygmy goat, Chauncey, and living on an odd goat farm in Houston, TX (those stories linked, below). TRANSPORT INSTINCT is also about living in New Orleans during that first horrible post-flood year, working strange jobs (teaching rap music to public school kids), gutting houses, and participating in New Orleans' wacky underground music scene. The book's last third documents my heartbreaking struggle to, after a very stressful evacuation, hold onto my girlfriend "Mizzy," who ended up proposing to me in front of 800 people at the biggest concert I ever played. Although TRANSPORT INSTINCT focuses on our family, it is also a document of the actual struggles and triumphs of many of New Orleans' stranger, more vibrant modern artists.
TRANSPORT INSTINCT has been excerpted in roughly a dozen great venues including NEWSWEEK, The New Orleans Review, and several VILLAGE VOICE publications (URLs to many excerpts below). I won two writer's residencies -- in California, then Spain -- on the strength of TRANSPORT INSTINCT. Yet despite, all the gushing love-letters the book has received from big publishers have all ended by telling me they are afraid to publish "another Katrina book," or that people aren't interested in the topic anymore. Which is a shame, given TRANSPORT INSTINCT is worlds different from any other book published about Katrina.
So I am publishing it myself.
1) (Houston Press & Kitchen Sink) about escaping with my goat:
- pt. 1: http://www.houstonpress.com/2005-09-22/news/between-is-and-was
- pt. 2: http://kitchensinkmag.com/sectionlayout.php
- pt. 3: http://www.houstonpress.com/2005-10-06/news/goat-tales
- pt. 4: http://www.houstonpress.com/2005-11-03/news/au-revoir-chauncey
2) (GAMBIT) about teaching rap music to New Orleans kids: http://gambitweekly.com/dispatch/2006-09-12/mus_feat.php
3) (NEWSWEEK) about painting flooded Mardi Gras floats: http://www.newsweek.com/id/56895
4) about one-man-band Quintron and the drowning of Spellcaster Lodge: http://www.clevescene.com/Issues/2005-11-09/music/music2.html
5) (Dallas Observer) about New Orleans music in Houston: http://www.dallasobserver.com/2005-09-15/music/come-marching-in/
6) About 9th Ward rock band, Morning 40 Federation: http://www.houstonpress.com/Issues/2006-07-20/music/music.html
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
seconds to go
- First created · 0 backed
- Has not connected Facebook
Pledge $5 or moreYou selected
I will email anyone who pledges anything, a Word copy of the manuscript for Transport Instinct, along with a sincere thank you.
Pledge $20 or moreYou selected
$20 - $40 = a copy of the book, with a handwritten thank you inside
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
$50 - $80 = all of the above, plus an official thank you to the donor printed within the book, plus a copy of the CD of ORIGINAL SONGS written and recorded by the New Orleans public school kids I teach (as featured in the book. See video on this page, or visit: myspace.com/mrmichaelsclass)
Pledge $90 or moreYou selected
$90 - $200 = all of the above, PLUS a cute shirt, screenprinted by the author, and featuring Chauncey, my goat, as drawn by Swedish artist Marcus Bjernerup.
Pledge $200 or moreYou selected
$200 - $400 = all of the above, plus a copy of my book "New Orleans: The Underground Guide," (UNO Press).
Pledge $500 or moreYou selected
$500 and up = all of the above, plus a rare copy of my out-of-print New Orleans cult classic novel, The Donkey Show (only one case left in the world; 2,000 sold)
- (89 days)