So the latest update has arrived. It's live on Steam now, and Humble later this evening. Here's a video that covers a small fraction of it, or you can read on below for the full lowdown:
We've changed and added a massive amount for this update, so we're going to need you to get stuck in and let us know how it all feels. Most obviously there is a TONNE of new loot. There's new food and new bric-a-brac making up a great deal of the additional items, but we've also added some new pieces of usable equipment. More on those shortly.
The other big change is a total reworking of the equipment management/inventory screen. The new system allows you to drag and drop equipments to 'slots' which you can then bind to whatever key you like, rather than being hard bound to a key. So where you were hitting B for binoculars before, now you need to select a slot, and hit 1-7. We noticed that quite a few people struggled to work out how to equip a new piece of kit at the start of the game, hopefully this system will help those guys, and also let you veterans manage your loadouts more dynamically. More pragmatically: because there's so much more stuff, we were running out of keys. This solves that issue.
On top of that we've done a lot of AI tweaking for the hunters. This has mainly been about making distraction more reliable. It's also allowed us to bring back interbot combat. It's now possible for bots to get into fights with each other, though this is rare. Listen out for distant gunfire, because their duels are fun to watch!
There's also the new equipment, distraction deployables, a markable map, torches, scanners.... not to mention reworked skies, night brightness... It's been a big month!
The full list of changes and fixes is below but take note of the following: While adding all the new loot we also reworked out internal loot table management system. This, coupled with all the new items we've added means that loot distribution is pretty unbalanced in this update. There is probably too much food, maybe to little ammo, a few less bandages (or a few too many!) Weapons are probably scarcer in houses, but the new inter-bot fighting can leave a good haul of guns around for the scavenger...
We really, really need your feedback to knock these new loot tables into shape this month. Help us by posting your thoughts on loot distribution in the official feedback forums.
* This update will break your saves. Sorry! We had to do it.
*NEW - 64-bit version automatically installs on Steam to appropriate OS.
* Hunter Investigate and Searching State viewcones are reduced. Bots now have less peripheral vision when investigating stuff . This makes distraction more reliable, and bots also won't be able to see you out of their ears anymore...
* NEW - Equipment Handling redesign. Slot-based equipment assignment.
* NEW – Toy Train deployable.
* NEW – Alarm Clock deployable.
* NEW – Map Item. You can mark three waypoints on the map and they will show on your compass. Click on the map to set the markers. By defauly M is the map key.
* NEW – Scanner Item. Guides you to nearby telepieces.
* Compass now shows 180 degrees, not 360. Waypoints stack at edges if they go behind you.
* Some bots have quit smoking.
* NEW – Playable Trombone. Change the pitch of your warbling with the mouse scrollwheel.
* Increased Inventory size by one column. Experimental to accommodate all the new kit.
* NEW – Sir/Madam now receives a Visibility bonus during night hours.
* NEW – Idling hunters can now drink tea, show off trophies to each other.
* Camera no longer sways when crouched and static.
* NEW - Dramatic skies. Or is that melodramatic?
* Braver ravens. Less cowardly corvids.
* NEW - Loads of new food and bric-a-brac items.
* Loot tables totally redone from scratch. Will be a bit unbalanced this update.
* NEW - Inter-bot combat. Occasional fisticuffs between bot factions.
* Fixed some Z fighting on House2 model
* Cursor no longer locked to centre on end game stats screen.
* Fixed issue where clicking Continue on non existant worlds could hang the game.
* Fixed issue where you could charge up a megajump while in water.
* Fixed issue where having anything other than Mouse 1 as your Drop Down menu button broke those menus...
* Squire ragdoll doesn't start in T pose anymore.
* Getting pinned by a dog now closes any open loot windows.
* Fixed issue where leaning would stop you moving, but the Vis meter did not register the change in speed.
* Leaning no longer rotates the moon. :(
* Dying with a window open (reading a book/letter/tooltip) no longer messes up the death screen.
* Fixed issue where falling into water delayed the fall damage until after you reached dry land.
* Player Health/Vit stats are now displayed correctly when you change islands or load.
* Fixed issue where graphics options were resetting on load for some users.
* Pub sign pulled in a bit to stop clashing with some walls.
* Attempted fix for centering issue in windowed mode on multi-monitor setups.
* If you kill a dog just as it pins you, you should no longer remain pinned.
* Telepieces now all have sound effect.
* Trapped camera wobble now correct length
* Squires no longer aggro when you collect a trap
* Fixed serious glitch with Hunter sound investigation. Bots should now investigate sounds much more reliably.
* Fixed missing foundations on Priory
Have fun, and let us know your thoughts over at the forums: http://www.big-robot.com/forum/