A collection of connected crosswords based on classic board games!
My name is Neville Fogarty, and I write crossword puzzles. You might've solved some of my crosswords in the New York Times, Los Angeles Times, Chronicle of Higher Education, or even on my website. I recently had an idea for a set of crosswords inspired by one of my hobbies—board games. I've spent a few weeks outlining themes based on classic games and brainstorming clever puzzles. Now I'm hoping to raise enough money to bring "The Games People Play" to puzzle lovers like you!
What exactly is "The Games People Play?"
This will be a collection of ten interconnected crossword puzzles (also known as a puzzlefest), where each puzzle is inspired by a classic game. Each of the first nine puzzles will lead you to an appropriate "meta-answer;" the tenth puzzle will help you use those nine intermediate answers to solve a larger conundrum.
The puzzles will conform to standard rules of American crosswords and will range in size from 15x15 up to 21x21. The difficulty of individual puzzles will vary, as will figuring out how to extract meta-answers; there will be hints available for first-time "meta-solvers." My goal is to make this fun for all solvers - from the novice to the puzzle guru. (And if you're not a crossworder yourself, consider backing this project as a gift for a friend or loved one. You might discover that you enjoy peeking over their shoulders!)
There will also be a short story that goes along through the puzzlefest. It'll give the collection some continuity—and it'll give you some helpful hints for solving the puzzles!
You don't have to be a board game expert to solve these crosswords. All of the games are rather well-known, and you won't need a copy of any of the games to solve the puzzles. I don't want to spoil anything too much, so that's all I'll say for now. If you have questions, feel free to leave a comment or send me a message.
Most crosswords are sold to newspapers or magazines. Unfortunately, those venues aren't looking to publish a set of crosswords like this. But after putting the time into planning this project, I know that it will be a lot of fun, so I want to use Kickstarter to bring "The Games People Play" directly to you!
My goal is $1,000 - that works out to be just a little over the going rate for ten 15x15 puzzles at the Los Angeles Times (and remember—that's the minimum size of a puzzle in this collection). The overage also accounts for the fact that these puzzles are intertwined and for consideration for my test-solvers. Thank you for supporting independent puzzle writers like me!
I'm offering three levels of support:
- ADVANCE TO GO gets you a PDF copy of "The Games People Play" via email, along with my thanks for your support.
- KING ME gets you the ADVANCE TO GO package plus the opportunity to suggest an entry (i.e., an answer in the grid) for an upcoming crossword on my website. (Your entry will need to conform to standard crossword rules (length, notability, family-friendliness, etc.); feel free to send me a message in advance if you're not sure about what you've got in mind.) Please bear in mind that your entry won't necessarily appear by the end of May 2013, but I'll try to get to it as quickly as possible (unless you'd like to request a particular date).
- TRIPLE WORD SCORE gets you the KING ME package plus the right to name one of the characters in the story. If you're thinking about giving this set of crosswords to a friend or loved one as a gift, why not include them in the puzzlefest? Minds will be blown! (Names are also subject to confirmation by me—nothing inappropriate, please.) There are only a few characters to name, so act fast.
I'm seeking $1,000 in funding for this project. But why stop there? I'd love to share this puzzlefest with as many people as possible through this Kickstarter campaign. To do that, I'll need your help in promoting this project. What's in it for you, you ask? During my design of this suite of puzzles, I came up with a number of ideas for puzzles based off of board games. Unfortunately, there's just not enough room in the puzzlefest for all of them. But I didn't just throw these ideas out! Instead, I'd like to offer them as bonus puzzles that I'll write upon reaching new totals. Backers at all levels will receive the bonus puzzles. More info on these goals will follow once the project has been funded, so let's get the word out!
Good news, everyone! We've fully funded the project! Here are our stretch goals:
- $1,000: Fully funded project! Hooray! GOAL MET
- $1,500: All backers at the ADVANCE TO GO level and above will receive a bonus crossword! It'll still be a game-themed meta-puzzle, but it won't contribute to the meta-meta-puzzle. GOAL MET
- $2,000: All backers at the ADVANCE TO GO level and above will receive a second bonus crossword! Like the first bonus puzzle, it'll still be a game-themed meta-puzzle, but it won't contribute to the meta-meta-puzzle. GOAL MET
- $2,500: All backers at the ADVANCE TO GO level and above will receive a third bonus crossword! Unlike the previous bonus puzzles, I plan for this to be a cryptic crossword and not a meta-puzzle. Still game themed, though!
- $3,000: All backers at the ADVANCE TO GO level and above will receive a fourth bonus puzzle! This will be a variety puzzle inspired by yet another board game. Saying more would spoil the fun!
Risks and challenges Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Once this project has funded, the challenges that will remain will be me constructing the puzzles and having them test-solved. I've already mapped out the crosswords and have constructed two of the more complicated to write puzzles as proof-of-concept to myself. That leaves eight puzzles (plus any stretch rewards that come up). Since the ideas are already down on paper, this should be straightforward. I've also lined up some eager test-solvers already, so this project should go smoothly after construction, too.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
seconds to go
Pledge $10 or moreYou selected
"ADVANCE TO GO" — You'll get a PDF copy of my crossword puzzlefest, "The Games People Play."Estimated delivery:
Pledge $15 or moreYou selected
"KING ME" — You'll get a PDF copy of my crossword puzzlefest, "The Games People Play," and I'll put an entry of your choice in a crossword on my website.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or moreYou selected
10 backers All gone!
"TRIPLE WORD SCORE" — You'll get a PDF copy of my crossword puzzlefest, "The Games People Play," I'll put an entry of your choice in a crossword on my website, and you can name one of the characters in "The Games People Play."Estimated delivery:
- (29 days)