Drummer's Corpse, a 33min. piece of sound art for 7 drum sets, 1 organ, 1 electric guitar, 1 floor tom & 3 vocalists.
UPDATE! WHO IS BOOKED TO PLAY DRUMS ON THIS RECORD!?!
Confirmed drummers/percussionists are: Oran Canfield, Russell Greenberg, John McLellan, Bobby Previte, Mike Pride, Ches Smith & Tyshawn Sorey.
Only 4 words needed: HISTORIC MEETING OF MODERN PERCUSSIONIST IMPROVISORS/COMPOSERS!!!!!!!
HELLO! I am Mike Pride (www.mikepride.com).
I am a composer, educator & drummer, working primarily in the fields of jazz/improvised music, studio "session" work, metal, RnB & percussive soundscapes. I live in Brooklyn, NY with my wife and 18 month old son.
Since 1998, I have produced over 20 albums of my own music and performed around the world, at festivals, and in clubs, in countless countries, on 4 continents. I have worked with jazz & new music ensembles, with my own avant-rock band, Dynamite Club, and with legendary punk-rock icons, MDC. I would never start a fund raising program, like this, unless it was absolutely necessary, and it is.
I am trying to raise $7077.00 to produce a top-quality recording of my composition, "DRUMMER's CORPSE", in August of 2012. In order to collect the funds raised, I have to meet that dollar amount, otherwise ALL contribution are for naught.
I composed Drummer's Corpse in 2005. It is a piece of cathartic sound-art. It is composed for 7 drum/percussion sets, 1 organ, 1 electric guitar, 1 floor tom & 3 vocalists/"exorcisers"/"shamans".
I have been performing Drummer's Corpse around the NYC area for 7 years now, and I am hoping to record it during the summer or 2012, the 7 year anniversary of its composition. Part of the "why-now?" is that my main collaborator on the piece, percussionist/vocalist/visual artist Fritz Welch (who now lives in Scotland with his family), will be in the US over the summer and we will be performing the piece 2 times (July 9th at Trash Bar, in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, and Saturday, July 28th at Big Sky Lab, in Brooklyn). The other "parts of why?" are: 1- it's an election year, and this piece has always been my form of political/social protest/celebration & healing. 2- I am getting older and the realities of performing this piece may prove daunting in coming years. THE TIME IS NOW.
Past performers have included:
- Vocalists/Performance Artists: Fritz Welch (Peeesseye), Mike Pride, Larissa Velez (Yackez), Marissa Perel, Brian Bellot, Ben Gerstein & Sam Mickens (The Dead Science, Ecstatic Showband & Revue).
- Guitarists: Chris Welcome, Charlie Looker (Extra Life) & Ben Greenberg (Zs, Hubble).
- Drummers: Michael Evans (God Is My Co-Pilot), Ian Antonio (Zs, Yarn/Wire), Marylise Frencheville (Vialka), Russell Greenberg (Yarn/Wire, Wet Ink Ensemble), Chuck Bettis (All-Scars, Measels Mumps & Rubella), Oran Canfield (Child Abuse), Ches Smith (Marc Ribot's Ceramic Dog, Xiu-Xiu), Brian Chase (Yeah Yeah Yeahs), Weasel Walter (Flying Luttenbachers, Cellular Chaos), Bill "Willis" Bowen, Andrya Ambro (Antonius Block, Talk Normal), John McLellan (Joe Maneri), Harris Eisenstadt (Yusef Lateef), Aaron Siegel (Anthony Braxton), Ben Gerstein (Craig Taborn, Joe Maneri), Alex Lambert (Multitudes), Andrew Drury (Jack Wright), Kevin Shea (Mostly Other People Do The Killing, Talibam!), Hank Shteamer (Stay F*cked), Jason Nazary (Little Women), Ryan Sawyer (Tall Firs, Thurston Moore, Jandek) & more!
- Harmonium/electronics: Jaime Fennelly (Peeesseye, Acid Birds)
The monies raised will go towards the following:
- $300 fee per musician (11 musicians to be paid, totalling $3300).
- Recording costs at highest quality NYC studio (hoping to get The Bunker, which runs at $75/hr.). Expecting this to come in at about $1000.
- $1000 to have Jamie Saft mix this most dense of recordings. Jamie is the world's premier mixing engineer, by many leaps. His work is unparalleled in its beauty, density and clarity. Hear my quartet album Mike Pride's FROM BACTERIA TO BOYS - Betweenwhile (2010 AUM Fidelity) for proof!
- $1000 to have the piece mastered at Scott Hull in NYC. Scott Hull is NYC's premier mastering house who has worked with everyone from Bruce Springstein to David Bowie, & Herbie Hancock (he also mastered the album "BANG BANG" by Kalashnikov (Mike Pride & Jamie Saft's duo improvised metal project)).
- Which leaves $777 overhead. Almost all of of this (about $710) goes to Amazon & Kickstarter for hosting/processing, when we meet our goal.
- WHEN I exceed that goal, I will commit to also recording another long form piece of music I composed, in memorium of the Manhattan Knitting Factory, entitled "Some Will Die Animals", for guitar (Chris Welcome), double bass (Eivind Opsvik), tom-toms & bass drums (Mike Pride), & 4 recitations (Marissa L Perel, Fritz Welch, Larissa Velez & Mike Pride). I will this on the Drummer's Corpse album. What a HUGE album THIS WILL BE!
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
pledged of $7,077 goal
seconds to go
Jun 20, 2012 - Jul 23, 2012 (33 days)
Pledge $10 or more
Digital "mix tape" of some of my favorite music, which correlates to Drummer's Corpse.Estimated delivery: Sep 2012
Pledge $15 or more
A high quality digital download of Drummer's Corpse w/ art files, available as soon as the album is mastered.Estimated delivery: Oct 2012
Pledge $20 or more
5 backers All gone!
Receive the latest Dynamite Club t-shirt, designed by the one-and-only SELDON HUNT!!! Honestly, this is one of the most incredibly designed & printed shirt you will ever see, silk screened by the incomparable Brad Sawyer. Very rare. All sizes available, including XXL & "Girl Tees"!. (see shirt below videos).Estimated delivery: Sep 2012
Pledge $20 or more
8 backers Limited (2 of 10 left)
Kalashnikov "Bang Bang" t-shirt. Designed & hand silk-screened by Maine's own print-master, Brad Sawyer. Classic thrash style! Very rare. All sizes available, including XXL (no girl tees, sorry ladies)! (see shirt below videos).Estimated delivery: Sep 2012
Pledge $25 or more
Digital download + CD of Drummer's Corpse album.Estimated delivery: Nov 2012
Pledge $40 or more
Digital download + CD + digital "mix tape" of some of my favorite music, which correlates to Drummer's Corpse.Estimated delivery: Nov 2012
Pledge $50 or more
7 backers Limited (43 of 50 left)
Digital download + Drummer's Corpse CD, AUTOGRAPHED BY EVERY MUSICIAN INVOLVED. This will be a HISTORIC document of important drummers, and we will only autograph 50. Your grandchildren will Auction this off and make you proud!!!Estimated delivery: Nov 2012
Pledge $75 or more
Digital download + CD + digital "mix tape" + any 2 of Mike Pride's albums available on CD.Estimated delivery: Nov 2012
Pledge $100 or more
Digital download + CD + digital "mix tape" + any 3 of Mike Pride's albums available on CD (double CDs count as 1!).Estimated delivery: Nov 2012
Pledge $150 or more
Digital download + CD + digital "mix tape" + any 4 of Mike Pride's albums available on CD (double CDs count as 1!) + AN ORIGINAL PIECE OF ART - mixed media on paper - dedicated to you.Estimated delivery: Nov 2012
Pledge $250 or more
2 backers Limited (8 of 10 left)
Digital download + CD + digital "mix tape" + any 4 of Mike Pride's albums available on CD (double CDs count as 1!) + an original piece of art - mixed media on paper - dedicated to you + YOU MAY ALSO CHOOSE TO BE LISTED AS A Co-Producer in the album credits.Estimated delivery: Nov 2012
Pledge $500 or more
1 backer Limited (9 of 10 left)
Digital download + CD + digital "mix tape" + any of 4 of Mike Pride's albums available on CD (double CDs count as 1!) + an original piece of art - mixed media on paper - dedicated to you, + co-producer credit (only if you want, of course) + a 3-5 MINUTE SOLO DRUM SET RECORDING, BY MIKE PRIDE, PROFESSIONALLY RECORDED AT THE DRUMMER'S CORPSE SESSIONS, titled & dedicated to you, delivered in hand designed packaging, on a one-of-a-kind CD-r (can be delivered digitally as well, if you wish). NO ONE ELSE IN THE UNIVERSE WILL HAVE ACCESS TO THIS PIECE OF MUSIC, EXCPET YOU!!!Estimated delivery: Nov 2012
Pledge $1,000 or more
1 backer Limited (6 of 7 left)
Digital download + CD + digital "mix tape" + any 4 of Mike Pride's albums available on CD (double CDs count as 1!) + an original piece of art - mixed media on paper - dedicated to you, + co-producer credit (only if you want, of course) + a 3-5 minute solo drum set recording, by Mike Pride, professionally recorded at the Drummer's Corpse recording sessions, titled and dedicated to you, delivered in hand designed packaging, on a one-of-a-kind CD-r (can be delivered digitally as well, if you wish) + LIMITED EDITION, 2-SIDED DRUMMER's CORPSE T-SHIRT that says "I helped bring the corpse to life!" on the back, designed by Mike Pride & professionally hand-silkscreened + free entry (+2) to any Drummer's Corpse performances in 2012 & 2013, anywhere in the world.Estimated delivery: Nov 2012