I am creating a game to help kids and young adults learn Mandarin Chinese. iZhongWen is a game for iPhone,iPad,Nook,Kindle, and Android
I am raising funds to make a very special educational game. iZhongWen is the antidote to the 'grammar-translation' method employed in Chinese schools - at LadeezFirstMedia, we believe that educational games can be fun and that learning a language can be the most fun of all! iZhongWen is a game that teaches kids conversational Chinese - real language skills that you will use right away.
iZhongWen is a game created for multiple devices, including iPhone, iPad, Nook, Kindle, and Android, using CoronaSDK software. I am the Boston Ambassador for CoronaSDK and am really enthusiastic about this software. I want to create a multiple-choice quiz game to teach Chinese conversation that allows:
- the player to choose the level of language learning - reading pinyin (the phonetic version of standard Mandarin), reading (simplified) Chinese characters, or the Speech Only level where the user simply listens to the questions and answers.
- the player can choose the 'character' to travel with, either boy or girl.
- the character will lead the player through a series of multiple choice questions created from a vetted Chinese language learning textbook (301 Phrases of Conversational Chinese by Kang Yuhua and Lai Siping.)
- the player's correct and incorrect answers accumulate to get a score which is fed to Scoreoid, an API system great for keeping score in these type of games.
- the player is encouraged to login so that they can monitor their progress. Scoreoid allows printouts to show scores, of interest to parents and teachers.
- finally, if the user gets 100% on a level, they earn 'red envelopes' AND a printable page created by Tim Haugan of Fantastic Toys. This is the real innovation of iZhongWen. Tim is going to create 3d printables that the user can print from their device so that they can create a facsimile of the level's subject (a visit to a home, to a school, etc). Most other games give badges as incentives, but iZhongWen takes achievements a step further by giving kids something tangible that ALSO promotes language learning acquisition.
The $1000 I am requesting for this Kickstarter project will be used in conjunction with Tim Haugan of Fantastic Toys; I want to commission him to create the printable pages that will be presented to the player of iZhongWen who completes a level with 100% correct answers. This innovation takes the concept of 'achievements' to a new level by offering a concrete prize rather than an ephemeral badge. This will incentivize kids to learn more and ensure iZhongWen's quality as a deliverable.
Take a look at Tim's work here: http://myfantastictoys.com/
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
pledged of $1,000 goal
seconds to go
Jun 5, 2012 - Jul 5, 2012 (30 days)
Pledge $500 or more
You can help me design the levels of this game. The sky's the limit; we can create levels like "Let's have a party!" or "Let's play a game!"Estimated delivery: Jul 2012
Pledge $1,000 or more
0 backers Limited (1 of 1 left)
I will design the game characters to look like your kids. This idea will work for either the current release of this game (where I need Asian-looking characters) or a future version of the game where I can use Caucasian or other types of characters. I'll take your input on the characters' names as well.Estimated delivery: Jul 2012