What we've learned - 8/25/12
Thanks again for supporting us in our learning adventure/ business. We had a birthday party for our CFO on Thursday and Friday night who is now 6!
We are starting to get some buzz on sites not related to us. One of the big lessons we learned this week is that not everyone thinks you are great. The boys were exposed to public opinion on internet forums. We came up with a plan to respond to the issues in a polite manner even though the boys were a little bit taken aback by the comments. It was a great discussion we had on the cyberspace world.
We also started talking about client relationship software and decided on using SugarCRM to handle our inventory and client list. The community edition is the right price for us (free). The folks at Epicom heard about this and interviewed the CEO and CFO on Friday about their business for a blog post. Link will be forthcoming.
Things we learned since the last post:
1) Website design. Tobin created the home page to www.gamessavetheworld.com. He's got some anchor links, learned what an iframe was and how to set the font and background color.
2) Forums. The boys saw what random people on the intertubes post on websites. Some were not all rosy and we had a discussion on how to deal with public opinion.
3) Marketing - We got an interview with Epicom about our SugarCRM choice to handle the backend software. We also discussed word of mouth advertising and how important it is. Griff called it "blabber-mouth advertising".
4) Printing. - We learned that the local printer we were recommend cannot do a wax paper like a playing card. We wanted to use a local printer, but will probably shop out the job outside of Austin. Our goal is to get a prototype from our second choice to check out the status of the product before buying our bulk lot. Maybe the prototype will be a stretch-reward.
5) We got our 1st round sketches from the illustrator. We are meeting tomorrow on final instructions on how to proceed. My favorites are the slime crab, the mind building crab and the poison fart gas crab. David McKay is really good at his job.
6) Trademark Infringement - Someone is trying to use Monster Crabs and we have the Trademark. We discussed the proper discourse to handle the situation without trying to sound like jerks.
Thanks to all who have helped out. This goes far and beyond what I could have ever imagined. 30% down, 70% to go. Please pass the "blabber-mouth".
Here's is a photo of Tobin programming the home page.
seconds to go
Pledge $2 or moreYou selected
A mental high-five from Griffin, C.F.O of Games Save the World. Tobin, the C.E.O., will promise not to pass gas around you.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $15 or moreYou selected
A deck of the game, Monster Crabs. Games Save the World's first game.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or moreYou selected
A deck of the game, Monster Crabs. A 8x11 copy of the original Monster Crabs design from the owner and founder of Games Save the World.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $45 or moreYou selected
A deck of the game, Monster Crabs. A 8x11 copy of the original Monster Crabs design from the owner and founder of Games Save the World. A stretch goal t-shirt that you don't know the design just yet, featuring a monster crab and the GSTW logo which is also still being designed. Any reward more than this amount also qualifies for a t-shirt.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $75 or moreYou selected
5 backers All gone!
A deck of the game, Monster Crabs. A 8x11 copy of the original Monster Crabs design. And a personal phone call from personable Tobin and Griffin thanking you personally.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $150 or moreYou selected
3 backers Limited (2 left of 5)
A deck of the game, Monster Crabs. A 8x11 copy of the original Monster Crabs design. A framed autographed card from illustrator David McKay. And a personal phone call from Tobin and Griffin thanking you personally.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $500 or moreYou selected
1 backer Limited (9 left of 10)
A special deck of the game, Monster Crabs. This deck will be labeled with the number stamp 1 thru 10, signifying it is one of the first 10 decks ever of Monster Crabs, the first game from Games Save the World. A 8x11 copy of the original Monster Crabs design. A framed autographed card from illustrator David McKay, and a personal phone call from Tobin and Griffin thanking you personally.Estimated delivery:
- (30 days)