Lisa Townsend Co. premieres -indifference-, a multi-media dance work, this March 22-25 as a CounterPulse Theater Artist in Residence.
Drawing inspiration from the French Existentialist novel L’Etranger (The Stranger) by Albert Camus, indifference explores empathy, and lack there of, in society as it loosely follows the story’s protagonist Meursault, whose humanity is expressed in the unbearable heat of the day. Examining the absurd psychological cul-de-sac that is modernity, this new work explores and deconstructs the existential dilemmas of Camus’ character, delivering a moving commentary on cruelty, remorse, the perils of free will, and the societal burdens imposed on cultural outsiders — strangers.
Hello! This is Lisa Townsend, Artistic Director of Lisa Townsend Company, currently in residence @ CounterPulse Theater in SF and creating indifference, a multi-media dance/performance piece. indifference is a collaborative endeavor and includes live music, video, dance, spoken word and performances by Christine Bonansea, Patric Cashman, Brenton Cheng, Eric Garcia, Erin Mei-Ling Stuart & Lisa Townsend.
Check out the video above to get a preview of footage for the piece.
Although I have recently received a grant from the Zellerbach Family Fund and my residency at CounterPulse is supportive in many ways, I still need to raise $5,000 to make this production straighten up and fly right.
Your donation will go toward a crucial component of this project; it will directly compensate all of my artistic collaborators for their extraordinary work, paying them an honest wage for their labor and talent.
This production and residency at CounterPulse is a pivotal moment for Lisa Townsend Company and I hope that you can be part of the excitement.
Thank you very much!
Lisa Townsend, Artistic Director, Lisa Townsend Co.
indifference, Thurs.-Sun. March 22-25, 2012 @ 8:00pm - CounterPulse, 1310 Mission St. (@ 9th), SF. 415-626-2060
Lisa Townsend Company performs experimental contemporary dance that draws on raw physicality, intimate gesture, and a theatrical sensibility. LTCo has been presented in New York City, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Europe. LTCo has co-produced evenings at L.A.C.E., L.A.’s Downtown Playhouse, ODC Theater and for two seasons at Joyce SoHo in NYC. They have received support from Meet the Composer, Marin Arts Council, Theater Bay Area CA$H, Zellerbach Family Foundation, as a resident company at ODC Theater and Creative Capital Fellow at Headlands Center for the Arts.
“As a choreographer, I look for moments of resonance between bodies, the expression of ideas through gesture and intimate touch, testing the limits of trust. In collaboration with visual and theatrical artists, writers and composers, we are committed to creating innovative, timely and meaningful work.” Lisa Townsend
pledged of $5,000 goal
seconds to go
Feb 15, 2012 - Mar 16, 2012 (30 days)
Pledge $10 or more
● Hugs whenever we see you! ● And a THANK YOU on Facebook!Estimated delivery: Mar 2012
Pledge $25 or more
● Acknowledgement in the program ● Hand written Thank You from LTCo ● & all the benefits above.Estimated delivery: Mar 2012
Pledge $35 or more
● A limited edition bookmark with an image from -indifference- ● & all the benefits above.Estimated delivery: Apr 2012
Pledge $50 or more
● A Haiku written by Lisa, Piro & Bello dedicated to you! ● & all the benefits above.Estimated delivery: May 2012
Pledge $100 or more
● 1 complimentary ticket to the show ● & all the benefits aboveEstimated delivery: May 2012
Pledge $200 or more
● an additional complimentary ticket (2 tkts total) to the show ● & all the benefits aboveEstimated delivery: May 2012
Pledge $250 or more
● A photograph by Piro Patton of the company ● & all of the above benefits.Estimated delivery: Jun 2012
Pledge $500 or more
● High Tea at Blackberry Farms with Lisa & Piro ● & all the benefits above.Estimated delivery: Jun 2012
Pledge $1,000 or more
● Artistic Director, Lisa Townsend will teach a private movement workshop to you and a few of your guests ● & all other benefits above.Estimated delivery: Jul 2012