HELLAS is a Greek space opera role-playing game (RPG). Players take on personas of larger than life heroes who strive for immortality
What is HELLAS?
Hellas: World of Sun and Stone is an exciting pen and paper roleplaying game(RPG). A fusion of high drama, action-adventure, romance, mythology-infused space opera and science fiction.
Hellas is an epic space opera in the style of ancient Greek culture and legend. Every player character is a Hero in a story that you will help create, with the power to influence the settings and elements of the game. Hellas spans multiple generations, allowing for the continuation of the epic story even after the death of a Hero, in the style of the epic poets of old.
"Imagine the movies Chronicles of Riddick meets 300." That’s HELLAS
The HELLAS: Worlds of Sun and Stone book includes.-
• Extensive history and character background set in the world of Hellas
• A style sheet for life in the galaxy of the Hellenes
• Over 30 pre-constructed vehicles including star ships
• Eight thoroughly explored factions and alien races: Amazorans, Goregons, Hellenes, Myrmidons, Nephelai, Nymphas, Kyklopes, and Zintar
• Awesome Godly Powers and Feats befitting a champion of the galaxy
• Clear and concise rules for the gift of the Gods of legendary power.
Why a Kickstarter?
I've been self-publishing role-playing games since 2002, but one of the hardest parts about doing it all on my own is keeping the older books available. This project is designed to get the core HELLAS rule book back into print.
What I need your help for
HELLAS was my magnum opus with incredible production values, a solid game system, and incredibly evocative artwork. After 4 years the book has fallen out of print but there is still demand. Unfortunately the cost of printing keeps me from doing a second printing and that is where you come in.
I’m asking for your help with a new revised edition of HELLAS with even more streamlined rules and game play.
This is what HELLAS has to offer
• 340 page full color hardback
• 9 different player races
• A lifepath system that helps flesh out and realize a character
• A ton of reasons to yell “THIS IS SPARTA!”
• A system for attaining renown and glory (much like Pendragon)
• A proven system that’s easy to learn and play (Omni System)
• Cool spaceships
• Panthalassa: The Cosmic All-Sea
• Naked people with spears and swords (this is not a euphamism)
• A game world that is familiar enough to be recognizable but alien enough to provide room for adventure
• Lots of Greek words horribly mangled by an ugly American
• 14 Gods
• An excuse to watch all your favorite Hercules and Xena episodes
• A reason to say “It’s all Greek to me” when you can’t find a rule.
• A simple mechanic for players to participate in changing their game environment
• A bestiary full of adversaries to kill in the face
• Lamb Meat
• 12 complete adventures
What If I've Never Heard of HELLAS: World of Sun and Stone?
Above all, my undying appreciation for your help and generosity. Other than that, take a look at the pledge rewards for the different levels of generosity. There is something for everyone.
• Unified some of the mechanics of the system so that there is a synergy across the board when playing the game. Remember the system used in HELLAS is based on the Talislanta system which has been around for 20 years.
• One thing we added to the core system was a lot more examples for each procedure.
• Dynamism gets an overhaul
• Now when you play the game you hear the songs Electric Eye and Screaming for Vengeance in your head
• The section on the Gods gets a polishing
• Skills are more concise and focused
• Metousia and the Respite phase get a retooling to bring it in line with Princes of the Universe and Wine Dark Void.
• More references to Galaxina and Mr. T
• All the small mistakes found in the errata are incorporated into the game
The revised HELLAS will use the Omega system. Adapted from the original system used in the Talislanta 4h edition book.
Below are the basics;
All actions in the game are resolved by the following procedure:
1. Determine the Degree of Difficulty (DoD). The DoD represents the relative ease or difficulty of an action. A positive DoD represents an easy action. A negative DoD represents a difficult action.
2. Add the character’s Skill or Attribute Rating to the DoD.
3. Take the result (a positive number, a negative number, or zero) and add it to a D20 roll.
4. Consult the Results Table for the result.
That’s all you really need to know. All the rules in this book are just variations of the above procedure. Players contribute by describing the Intent of their character’s actions to the GM. Then it is the GM’s job to interpret the outcome of the Results Table and how it affects the particular scene the player characters are involved in. Guidelines and tips for interpreting these rolls are covered later.
0 or LessCritical Failure
6–10 Partial Success
20 or More Critical Success
RESULTS TABLE KEY
Critical Failure: Not only does the attempted action fail, but it fails miserably and may have additional negative consequences such as accidental damage to the character attempting the action, opposite of the intended effect, etc. It is the GM’s job to determine the actual results of any Critical Failure, based on the circumstances surrounding the attempted action.
Failure: The action fails to achieve the intended result. There is no further negative impact.
Partial Success: The action is only moderately successful, achieving part but not all of the intended effect (such as half-damage from an attack or partial effect from Magic).
Full Success: The action achieves the intended result.
Critical Success: The action is even more successful than intended, achieving the player’s stated intent and also yielding additional benefits of some sort (An attack causes a Critical Wound that disables the opponent, increased effect from Magic, etc.). It is the GM’s job to determine the actual results and extent of any Critical Success, based on prevailing circumstances.
HELLAS is a multigenerational Hellenistic space opera that will allow players to detail the exploits of their heroes and their hero’s progeny. Heroes in HELLAS all strive to achieve notice and have songs written using their names. Heroes in HELLAS have the ability to change the universe with nothing more than a strong shield arm, a torch lance, and an indomitable will.
One unique element taken from Greek history is the point that the ancient bards often relied on memory to recite commonly-known tales, and actually relied on audience participation to fill in the details. Thus in the game, the GM is advised to encourage players to add details into his own scene descriptions.
Hellas: Worlds of Sun and Stone is not about ancient Greeks in space. It has nothing to do with the real ancient Greece apart from it being thematically influenced by it. The Olympian gods are not aliens; they're gods of the Hellenes, a spacefaring race that is not at all connected to the ancient Greeks.
On the "meta" level, the Heroes' actions really do affect the universe. In concrete game terms. This is a game concept called Metousia.
Metousia allows a PC to deliberately change societal factors in their area, on a scale of 1 to 10 in benefit, on the areas of Civilization, Affluence, Order (stable government), Security, Religion, (material) Prosperity and Quality of Life. However these factors all act on each other, so raising Quality of Life also raises Order but lowers Civilization (as the culture becomes more decadent).
Metousia points are pooled by the players from rewards given by the GM, and the base cost to change a trait is its new level (so raising Order from 3 to 4 would be 4 points). This base cost is multiplied by the size of the social entity (basic for City, up to x10 for Galactic Empire).
The core books are
HELLAS: Worlds of Sun and Stone
HELLAS: Princes of the Universe
HELLAS: Wine Dark Void
pledged of $10,500 goal
seconds to go
Mar 16, 2012 - Apr 20, 2012 (35 days)
Pledge $5 or more
Friend of HELLAS Level- Your name in the thank you section of the bookEstimated delivery: Nov 2012
Pledge $15 or more
Digital Level- Receive a PDF copy of HELLAS: Worlds of Sun and Stone a couple of weeks before the printed edition comes outEstimated delivery: Nov 2012
Pledge $25 or more
Hoplite Level- Receive a PDF copy of HELLAS: Worlds of Sun and Stone a couple of weeks before the printed edition comes out plus a printed map of the Known worlds (The map is available at this pledge level only)Estimated delivery: Nov 2012
Pledge $50 or more
Spartan Level- A hardback color copy of the book with your name in the thank you credits plus a PDF. NOTE: Add an additional $10 for shipping outside the U.S. Thank youEstimated delivery: Nov 2012
Pledge $70 or more
Heroic Level- A hardback color copy of the book with your name in the thank you credits. Plus a digital copy of the previous core supplement books (Princes of the Universe, and the Wine Dark Void). NOTE: Add an additional $10 for shipping outside the U.S. Thank youEstimated delivery: Nov 2012
Pledge $90 or more
Delphoi Legionnaire- All of the previous rewards, plus the official HELLAS t-shirt. NOTE: Add an additional $10 for shipping outside the U.S. Thank youEstimated delivery: Nov 2012
Pledge $125 or more
2 backers Limited (18 of 20 left)
HELLAS Ascendant- All of the previous rewards, plus your chance to design a character that will be featured in the book's rules examples. NOTE: Add an additional $10 for shipping outside the U.S. Thank youEstimated delivery: Nov 2012
Pledge $200 or more
2 backers Limited (18 of 20 left)
HELLAS Apotheosis- All of the previous rewards, plus a custom art print (24X36) of your favorite piece or artwork from HELLAS . NOTE: Add an additional $10 for shipping outside the U.S. Thank youEstimated delivery: Nov 2012
Pledge $300 or more
8 backers Limited (12 of 20 left)
Demigods of HELLAS Level- The Complete HELLAS game with the original book and all the core supplement, plus the Action Deck, and the GM Mat. The set comes with its own wooden boxEstimated delivery: Nov 2012
Pledge $400 or more
0 backers Limited (5 of 5 left)
Kybernetic Level- All of the above, plus a two-session Skype game that I will personally run for you and your Friends. I’ll even have a pizza deliveredEstimated delivery: Nov 2012
Pledge $2,000 or more
Gods of HELLAS - All of the above and I will come to your home and cook Sloppy Joes and Tater Tots, and show you my bald spot. This alone is worth the money but I will also run a game for you and your friends…except for your buddy, Perry, that guy's a jerk! Don’t worry about international shipping…I got it. ;)Estimated delivery: Nov 2012