1 week, 5 shows to go!
Last night we had our "hottest" performance yet. Due to forces beyond our comprehension, the venue of our performance in Trissur was changed at the last minute - to the studio theater at the School of Drama at the University of Calicut. We had been teaching a workshop there for two days and I honestly couldn't imagine how they would make it ready for performance in time - but, they did! The students from the workshop worked like crazy- hanging lights, curtains, cleaning the backstage areas, making makeup and dressing rooms. My favorite part was the candles lit everywhere. Beautiful. The space has openings on all sides, surrounded by jungle. They hung up a curtain across the back of the stage, but other than that, it was open air. While we we're warming up, a frog jumped across the stage. :) And with lights, it was like dancing in a sauna - with a packed house.
It is mystery to me how they got the word out about the change in venue, but it was literally shoulder to shoulder. We could see the audience's faces throughout, and we danced up to within two feet of the front row. And they were right there with us the whole time. The is nothing like really sharing space with the audience. One of the staff people from our hotel came to the performance, turns out he's quite the scholar - well-read in both ancient and modern literature, and a visual artist himself. And two theater artists from Chile and Brazil came as well. The MLA (Member of the Legislative Assembly) who had co-sponsored us here and who helped arrange one of our workshops (that Mila will be writing about, and maybe me too in a separate post) was also there.
Today we're getting a nice, late start to the Cochin airport to take off for Hyderabad.
Meanwhile, we've just launched a new kickstarter project to raise some of the remaining funds. Please pass it on! http:/kck.st/fpgp6g
seconds to go
Pledge $1 or moreYou selected
Emails from the company while on tour, with links to our tour blog
Pledge $20 or moreYou selected
• Emails from the company while on tour, with links to our tour blog • A postcard from the company sent from one of the cities we tour, signed by the company
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
• Emails from the company while on tour, with links to our tour blog • A postcard from the company sent from one of the cities we tour • One ANIKAI Dance T-shirt, printed in India, through a fair-trade organization
Pledge $100 or moreYou selected
ALL OF THE ABOVE PLUS: • A poster from one of the performances on tour, suitable for framing, signed by the company
Pledge $250 or moreYou selected
ALL OF THE ABOVE PLUS: • An invitation to the welcome home celebration for dancers and their sponsors - dancers will perform a new, site-specific work at the celebration
Pledge $500 or moreYou selected
• ALL OF THE ABOVE PLUS: • Personal postcards and email updates from the dancer of your choice
Pledge $2,250 or moreYou selected
• ALL OF THE ABOVE PLUS: • Invitation to attend a rehearsal/run-thru of Forest during our rehearsal intensive in mid-December OR a rehearsal of our new work in the Spring of 2011 • 2 TICKETS to the world premiere of ANIKAI’s NEWEST performance piece which will take place at Dance Theater Workshop in NYC in July 2011 • A framed photo of you and the company or the dancer of your choice at the Welcome Home celebration
Pledge $4,500 or moreYou selected
• ALL OF THE ABOVE PLUS: • 2 TICKETS to the world premiere of ANIKAI’s NEWEST performance piece which will take place at Dance Theater Workshop in NYC in July 2011 - AND AS MANY 1/2 PRICE TICKETS AS YOU CAN USE! • A framed 12 X 18 art photo of the company performing FOREST taken by photographer Yi-Chun Wu • 2 ANIKAI DANCE T-shirts
- (28 days)