A documentary about a travel agent who looses his livelihood after the tsunami in Japan and decides to walk 1800 miles in order to help
After Fukushima: A Project For Japan.
The disaster of Fukushima showed the world how interconnected we all are. It even affected a modest man from the other side of the world. We are fortunate to have captured the inspiring story of Thomas Koehler's journey across Japan and we felt inspired and passionate about Thomas’ walk. He shows that a single person can make a difference in this world. Now it is our time to make a difference.
We would like to introduce you to a post tsunami Japan documentary from a different angle.
Something inspiring and uplifting.
This is the story of Swiss travel agent and Japan specialist Thomas Koehler who lost his job after the tsunami. He would not give in to his own personal adversity. He felt it was time to give back. He decided to walk 1800 miles across the entire length of Japan from North to South out of solidarity. He gave hope and strength to the Japanese people during the early days of the rebuilding of the country. He demonstrated the importance of looking forward, by walking 15 miles everyday with his backpack through wind, rain and heat over a period of 5 months.
Thomas touched the hearts of the Japanese people.
The word quickly spread and the people open their doors to Thomas. They thanked him by giving him food, shelter and a huge welcome.
He became a media inspiration in Japan.
The documentary film «Negative: Nothing» follows Thomas Koehler on his inspiring journey that changed his life forever and gave hope and strength to a nation. In February 2012, Thomas was officially honored by Japan for his walk. Lady Gaga is the only other person who received this special honor after the Tsunami.
Become part of this uplifting, inspiring and universal story.
Because everything starts with a single step.
Watch the trailer of Negative: Nothing with subtitles in your language:
3月11日。あの日を境に全てが変わってしまった。スイス人、トーマス＝コーラはスイスにある旅行会社で日本旅行担当をしていた。猛威を振るっ た津波、そして福島原発での事故の影響により、トーマスも客足、さらには仕事自体も失う事となった。しかし彼はこのままあきらめるわけにはいかないと、日 本列島を北から南まで自分の足で歩いて縦断しようと思い立つ。これで世界中の人にアピールできる、日本にはまだ安全な場所がたくさんあるんだと。未曾有の 被害にあえぐ日本を旅してトーマスが見たものとは?トーマスの2900キロの旅の第一歩が今始まる。
What am I supporting?
We finished shooting the film and are currently in post-production. Our goal of $15,000 is the threshold amount we need to get the film ready for film festivals. If we exceed this goal, the extra funds will be most appreciated and will be wisely used to enhance and expand the production and distribution of the film.
- Time for Editing: We, the co-directors, do all the editing. We shot 60 hours of footage which now need to be translated, compressed and polished into a feature length documentary film. We invested all our savings into this documentary. Your support allows us to focus fulltime on the post-production and bring Thomas’ inspiring story onto the big screen and to an even wider audience.
- Music Rights / Composer: Every great film has a great soundtrack. For the trailer we hired a composer who supports with his music the emotional moments of this wonderful journey by Thomas. We need to pay the composer music licenses for the extra music we will use.
- Photo Rights: We have the honor to use the Tsunami pictures of renowned photo journalist Christoph Bangert (New York Times, Stern Magazin, Life Magazine, etc). He was one of the few foreign photo journalists who decided to stay all the way, while other fled the country because of Fukushima. Read his story here: (http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/28/day-by-day-a-personal-story-from-japan/). Bangert’s photos are a key element of our documentary.
- Sound Mix: To improve the sound quality we need to hire a sound engineer and spend a few days in a sound studio.
- DVD: Our documentary will be on DVD as well. It depends on our budget if we can put additional extras and subtitles in the DVD.
- Travel Fee: Our documentary is a global story. That means a lot of travel expenses. A trip from New York to Japan is unfortunately quite expensive.
Spread the word on Facebook:
More about our project:
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
pledged of $15,000 goal
seconds to go
Funding Unsuccessful This project reached the deadline without achieving its funding goal on July 17, 2012.
Jun 2, 2012 - Jul 17, 2012 (45 days)
Pledge $5 or more
A High Five or a hug the next time we see you.Estimated delivery: Jul 2012
Pledge $25 or more
View the pre-release version of ‘Negative: Nothing’ on vimeo in 2013 (limited access). You will also get access to additional video footage, not seen in the final film.Estimated delivery: Feb 2013
Pledge $50 or more
Postcard set of Thomas’ travel photos (6 cards). Signed by Thomas.Estimated delivery: Dec 2012
Pledge $75 or more
Exclusive Pre-Release DVD with extra features (available in 2013). Signed by Thomas.Estimated delivery: Feb 2013
Pledge $100 or more
A thank you screen credit (Thank You section in closing film credits and on website). Includes access to pre-release version on vimeo in 2013 (limited access) and additional video footage not seen in the final film.Estimated delivery: Feb 2013
Pledge $125 or more
Receive all of the above (Vimeo access, Pre-Release DVD, Post Cards and Thank You Credit)Estimated delivery: Feb 2013
Pledge $200 or more
A signed portrait of Thomas Koehler shot by renowned photographer Christoph Bangert (He made the photos of the tsunami in Japan: www.christophbangert.com. Read his blog on the New York Times website: http://goo.gl/QD4rq )Estimated delivery: Dec 2012
Pledge $500 or more
A personal one-on-one conversation with Thomas over Skype in English, Japanese or German (30 minutes). Plus exclusive pre-release DVD (available in 2013).Estimated delivery: Aug 2012
Pledge $1,000 or more
Associate Producer Credit. Plus exclusive pre-release DVD.Estimated delivery: Feb 2013
Pledge $7,500 or more
We offer you a trip to Zurich, Switzerland. Visit the beautiful city and get the chance to talk with Thomas Koehler in person about this journey across Japan. Flight and 3 nights hotel for 1 person included. Thomas will organize the trip for you. This also includes an Associate Producer credit. Plus the exclusive pre-release DVD. You can chose to visit at the pre-release premiere which is planned sometime in October 2012 (TBD) in Zurich or at any other time of your convenience.Estimated delivery: Oct 2012
Pledge $10,000 or more
We offer you and your partner a trip to Zurich, Switzerland. Visit the beautiful city and get the chance to talk with Thomas Koehler in person about this journey across Japan. Flight and 3 nights hotel for 2 people included. Thomas will organize the trip for you. This also includes an Associate Producer credit. Plus the exclusive pre-release DVD. You can chose to visit at the pre-release premiere which is planned sometime in October 2012 (TBD) in Zurich or at any other time of your convenience.Estimated delivery: Oct 2012