"The Year of the Co-op" gives a window into the unique lives of millions of people living in housing cooperatives in the United States.
Year of the Cooperative is a feature length documentary exploring the dynamic and lifestyle of cooperative housing. The United Nations has declared 2012 the year of cooperative education in the hopes that communal ways of living will find their way into nations across the globe. As such, we've decided to help spread the word of everything coops have to offer.
When most people hear the word "co-op" the definition and response are confused and uncertain--that's where we want to help. Year of the Cooperative will explore the economic, environmental, and social impact coops have on society through the lives of multiple individuals living in a communal setting. We plan to raise over $15,000, partly through Kickstarter, to fund a two-month trip across the US. Our five filmmakers will chronicle the stories of intentional community residents of every age. Help us show the world that there's another option out there - cheap, friendly, and sustainable - where everybody can have a say in the running of their lives.
WHO WE ARE
This project is fueled by the blood, sweat, and tears of a group of dedicated, wet-behind-the-ears Austin film students who have taken it upon themselves to help spread the cooperative word. What we lack in years of field experience we make up for in dedication, passion, and good looks. Almost all of us are products of cooperative housing and we want to be able to share our experiences, love, and how we think we can help save the world.
Track the project at www.yearofthecooperative.com!
We will be departing from Texas in mid-January and working our way around the perimeter of the US., from West Coast to East Coast, stopping at most of the major cities along the way.
Oh. We have sixteen members: two fantastic cinematographers, Grigor Kezele and Ima Leupp; a great director of photography (Joe Hassage); editors Iain Neberman and Frank Frye; sound editor Kirby Meador; artists Katie Elrod and Annie Lewis; researchers Alana Harrison and Julie Coombes; funding director Meaghan Nanson; assistant producers Ivy Davila and Sarah Kolb; web designer Eric Schiele; and producer/director Sara Ness. Our collective brains make up Year of the Cooperative.
Email us at email@example.com if you want to help or request a visit and we will give you more information!
pledged of $7,000 goal
seconds to go
Dec 6, 2011 - Jan 5, 2012 (30 days)
Pledge $10 or more
-Karma and gratitude -A free hug OR high five -A limited edition, highly fashionable buffalo buttonEstimated delivery: Jan 2012
Pledge $25 or more
- A limited edition, highly fashionable buffalo button - A free hug AND high five -A beautiful, sponsors-only desktop wallpaper designed by Annie Lewis -A copy of the final documentaryEstimated delivery: Jan 2012
Pledge $50 or more
-Five buttons -A CD compilation of music from film -A copy of the final documentary -A beautiful sponsors-only desktop wallpaperEstimated delivery: Nov 2012
Pledge $100 or more
- CD of film music and copy of the film - Buttons and desktop wallpaper - A sneak peak of a few minutes of the film before it premiers - A limited-edition “Year of the Cooperative” shirtEstimated delivery: Nov 2012
Pledge $150 or more
- A printed production still, signed by the crew - Patron's access to additional content during production - A copy of the film on the day of its release - Buttons and desktop wallpaperEstimated delivery: Dec 2012
Pledge $200 or more
- Five professional photos of you or the subject of your choice, snapped off by our expert shooters. (Limited to Austin, TX until we set sail, we're just not able to be everywhere at once) - A cassete tape copy of the soundtrack and a retro VHS copy of the feature, with fancy sleeve art by a cooperative artist. - Buttons, wallpaper, and sneak peak of the film before it premiers!Estimated delivery: Dec 2012
Pledge $250 or more
- "Special Thanks" Credits in the film - An invitation to the premier screening in Austin, Texas - A sneak peak of the film before it premiers - Display of your organization’s logo or your name on our website - Rights to screen the film non-commercially at your house or co-opEstimated delivery: Nov 2012
Pledge $365 or more
- Our very own "a world of thanks" credit to you. Download a copy of the soundtrack and a personal viewing license of the film -- instead of printing a plastic 80's tapey-magnent box, we'll plant a tree in honor of you along our journey -- did somebody say montage? - Plus: an invitation to the premier screening, and a personal videochat with the producer and crew!Estimated delivery: Apr 2012
Pledge $500 or more
- Credits of your choice in the film (“Supreme film dictator”? “Head llama”? Make one up and we’ll put it in there!) - Rights to screen the film non-commercially at your own co-op or house, followed by a Skype chat with the producer/director - An invitation to the premier screening in Austin, TX - Display of your organization’s logo or your name on our website - Extended footage from the state of your choiceEstimated delivery: Nov 2012
Pledge $1,000 or more
- Credits of your choice in the film - An invitation to the premier screening in Austin, TX - Display of your organization’s logo or your name on our website - Ability to screen the film non-commercially at your own co-op or house, followed by a Skype chat with any member(s) of the crew (your choice) - Three photos of your choice, set into motion in Aftereffects, in an 8" digital video frame - A piece of original art by Annie LewisEstimated delivery: Nov 2012
Pledge $5,000 or more
0 backers Limited (5 of 5 left)
- You're a part of our workers cooperative, and we'll need your input on wrangling this buffalo of a film. We'll be meeting faux face to face with our team around the country through the marvels of the internet and reaching consensus every leg of the journey. You don't strike us as the swaggy kind of patron, but in addition to your executive producer card you can request any of our trinketeers to make one special for you. - Plus, we'll make an exclusive traile about your own cooperative or organization!Estimated delivery: Nov 2012
Pledge $10,000 or more
0 backers Limited (1 of 1 left)
- A buffalo. (Live not guaranteed.)Estimated delivery: Feb 2012