We are a Chicago based band mixing a lot of influences into our own spicy musical blend. Help us create a record and get our music out!
Who We Are:
Fatbook is an 8 piece Chicago based group of musicians that draws influence from all over into our own soulful sound - Funk, Reggae/Dub, Jazz, RnB, Hip-Hop, West-African and Brazilian music, and a lil’ epic Rock. Our members’ experiences around the world have influenced who we are as people and the music we create. We make music that is fresh, colorful, and rooted in groove.
We formed the group at Lawrence University and won back-to-back “Downbeat Awards” from the jazz world’s Downbeat Magazine in 2009 and 2010. The group has been re-rooted in Chicago since then, and has quickly become a recognized force in the Chicago music community. We have been playing with some amazing friends here and adding to the four member core of Harjinder Singh, Evan Jacobson, Reed Flygt, and Ted Toussaint.
Harjinder, Evan, and Reed are music educators in Chicago Public Schools, and are dedicated to bringing youth up within the world of music, dance, and art. Expression is essential for the human soul, and teaching is essential for the human community. We love sharing what we love.
Fatbook has been developing devoted support while playing all over the Midwest- a sold-out New Years Eve 2011 marked the beginning of this new chapter.
The group has appeared at the Chicago Folk and Roots Festival, SummerFest (the “world’s largest music festival”), The Old Town School of Folk Music ( international series- “World Music Wednesdays”), and shared the stage with international and national acts such as Young Blood Brass Band, Willie-Waldman Project (Snoop Dogg, Banyan, Jane’s Addiction, Santana, and more), Steve Molitz (Playing for Change Band, Particle), Roster McCabe, and Mark Joseph (Down Lo, MJG-Productions).
We are recording a new album!!
We are a hard working independent group, and feel that a new album of our original music is necessary to bring what we are doing to the next level.
We have been developing a unique sound, and want to give that to you in the way we imagine it.
(We cannot WAIT to lay down the tracks with the epically huge Samba Bateria, and heavy Ghanaian drumming !!)
We want to share our new music with as many people as we can.
We want to continue to push and develop ourselves as artists through music.
We want to give back through the endeavor that has given so much to us already.
We also want to put the word out about all the young talent that is creating a serious situation in Chicago. You gotta hear what is going on around here!
What It Will Take: Thanks for even thinking about donating! We know money is tight right now for everyone.
Our goal through Kickstarter is to raise $7,000 of our $10,000 project need.
This will go directly to studio time, production, art/design, and duplication costs.
We plan to release this album in the Fall of 2012.
We will be in the studio by May 2012, begin production by June 2012, and distribute our donor incentives before our projected November release.
Thanks so much for your support!!
Harjinder, Evan, Reed, Ted, and the Fatbook Crew.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
pledged of $7,000 goal
seconds to go
Feb 11, 2012 - Apr 11, 2012 (60 days)
Pledge $20 or more
1. Signed PRE-RELEASE copy of the Record (two weeks advance). 2. Signed thank you with print of “Fatbook” logo. 3. Your name PRINTED in the thank you section of liner-notes.Estimated delivery: Nov 2012
Pledge $50 or more
1. HQ Limited Edition Album Artwork Print (ONLY made for Kickstarter contributors) 2. Signed CD-Release-Show Poster. + all lower rewards.Estimated delivery: Nov 2012
Pledge $100 or more
1. Private or Group Lesson from the Band (in Chicagoland Area, one of the following categories)- Drumset, Orchestral Percussion, Keyboards, Bass, Guitar, Trumpet, Trombone, Saxophone, Voice, Songwriting, Recording, Brazilian or West-African Drumming/Dance. + all lower rewards.Estimated delivery: Nov 2012
Pledge $500 or more
1. 4 VIP tickets to CD release show. 2. “Fat-Backer” status thank you on website. 3. We will cover any song of your choosing (...within reason), and post a video of it to our YouTube Channel ! + all lower rewards.Estimated delivery: Nov 2012
Pledge $1,000 or more
1. Private Show – (within three hours from Chicago, contact us for details) OR four hours of manual labor from four strapping young gentlemen :) . + all lower rewards.Estimated delivery: Nov 2012
Pledge $3,500 or more
1. Private Show – (...ANYWHERE in USA, contact us before donating for details). 2. Two additional UNRELEASED live tracks. 3. Monthly personal email letter from Reed Flygt :) ...For Life…. + all lower rewards.Estimated delivery: Nov 2012