Conclave is almost ready, folks. On Tuesday, three big things will take place:
1. We'll put ten new quests in place.
2. The current quests will go away; characters currently on quests will go back to Bastion, and old events will disappear.
3. The store will be updated with new products that replace the old Kickstarter-style rewards.
That's a whole lot of big changes all at once! Let's walk through them one by one.
New free quests
Conclave will have 25 quests when we launch the full campaign. 10 of those are done, and being tested by our Councilors right now. On Tuesday we will be launching all 10 of these quests, which will update and expand existing quests. All of these will be free for everybody to play for the time being; the next 15 will only be for those who have purchased the campaign.
The new quests take advantage of a variety of features that players haven't been able to experience before:
- Finding treasure
- Gaining distinctions for your actions, which can open up new vote options and Vault items
- Combats where you start surprised, where you or your enemies are damaged or have a condition, or where you are out of formation
- Hidden terrain
- Combats where the foes and their power level depend on how many characters are in your party, with different results for every party size from 1 to 4 (solo players rejoice!)
- Quests will take advantage of the full music soundtrack, with music tied to directly to the mood of each moment in a quest
You should discover a number of other minor tweaks as well, such as prettier foe tokens, better advice on how difficult a quest will be for your party, slightly faster progression through character levels, and so on.
Some of the quests are updated versions of ones you've played before. Others are entirely new. Even though your existing characters will be credited as having beaten quests that have been updated, we encourage you to replay them, perhaps with new characters, so as to experience the new features and learn what's changed in the story.
Our goal is to switch over to the new quests on Tuesday. There are a few things to be prepared for when that happens.
1. Conclave is likely to be down for at least a few hours.
2. After the downtime, all characters currently on quests will have their quests ended, and will return to Bastion. Finish your quests before Tuesday if it's important to you to complete them! We have end the quests on Tuesday do this as the old quests will no longer exist.
3. Also after the downtime, credit for your old quests will be mapped over to new ones. We'll give you more details on the exact mapping when that happens. This means your characters will retain their levels, and you can skip some or all of the new quests if you want to. Your characters will also have their old items and abilities.
4. The record of each party's past events will be erased. That means you won't be able to step back and review past combats, for example, or story decisions. We're starting fresh in this regard.
4. Because the character level rate is being increased slightly, a few of you may find your characters can level up after the switchover. Woo woo!
Store update; end of Kickstarter reward access
The Conclave store will see a major update on the day we switch over quests. Most importantly, Kickstarter rewards will no longer be available for purchase. We extended access to them after the Kickstarter because so many people said they wished they'd gotten in on the Kickstarter when it happened, or wanted to up their pledges after the fact. However, we've been meaning to pull the Kickstarter rewards in favor of a more typical storefront for quite some time. There's no better moment than now.
The new store will offer three game-related purchasing options. These are:
- The campaign
- A gift license for the campaign
- Access to guilds
Much like today, you can only purchase a gift license or guild access if you already have a license for the campaign, whether because you are already a Vanguard+ Kickstarter backer, or because you've gone into the updated store and bought a campaign license. Almost everybody receiving this email is already at least a Vanguard-level backer, and therefore won't need a campaign license. Notably, there will no longer be a Spireguard-style "perpetual license", so if you want one of these, be sure to stop by the current store and pick it up before Tuesday!
We know this is a huge amount of information, and that many of you will have questions. Please don't hesitate to email them to us (email@example.com) or to post them to the forums (http://forums.10x10room.com). Thanks for all your support; as you can see, we're almost there now.
- Nick and Derek