The Terah Project is designed to incorporate the ruleset of Paizo's Pathfinder Role-Playing Game into a new steampunk-based world.
This project supports kicking it forward.
We're going for the hard copy now. =)
$10,000 All backers $25 and higher will receive a high quality print of each of our iconics hand signed by the artist, publisher, lead designer, and fluff designer. The set includes: high elf, dark elf, dwarf, gnome, human, vykati, spark, and charlatan.
$12,500 Hardcopy version of the World Guide for all backers $100 and higher and an RPG Terah shirt for all backers $55 and higher. One copy of the World Guide for every $100 backed, up to 10 total at $500 and 12 at $3,000.
$15,000 Hardcopy version of the first adventure path module for all backers $45 or higher.
$17,500 Hardcopy version of the first adventer path module to all backers $35 or higher and a hardcopy version of the second adventure path module for all backers $45 and higher.
$20,000 Really exciting stuff. I'll announce it when we get the second stretch goal. (And no, it's not just the third AP module going to print. =) )
A World of Industry and Magic
Dirigibles hover silently over dark streets. The hiss of gas lamps mingles with the soft, far-off chanting of wizards. A grizzled mercenary guards the railstation, a rune-inscribed pistol at his side.
This is the world of Terah, a Steampunk Campaign setting for the Pathinder Roleplaying Game. The Terah World Guide is slated to come out this July at PaizoCon 2012 and will be the flagship product of Rossi Publishing Games. Although the project is already partially funded and the release date is certain, further donations will allow us to add more art/other content to the World Guide and will speed up the rate at which we can release further supplements once the World Guide has been published.
Currently, the world guide contains these exciting features:
- The World of Terah: A carefully constructed campaign setting rife with history, culture, and exciting set pieces. Attend the underground universities of Khauzi or explore the inner workings of Clocktower Fortress.
- The Spark: A mad scientist who crafts magnificent wonders with a mix of magic, technology, and pure insanity. Based off of the Girl Genius Webcomic by Phil and Kaja Foglio
- The Charlatan: A con-man who works fantastic illusions and tricks his way out of trouble with a silver tongue.
- The Vykati : A race of tribal wolf-men that lurk near the edges of civilization, fighting to preserve their culture amidst the tumult of industry.
- Telepathy and Telekinesis Feat Lines: Psychic powers for the strong of mind or the curious of spirit.
- The Runeworker Feat Line: Prepare the battlefield by inscribing runes on walls, weapons or armor.
- Automatons: Create mechanical servants or unstoppable vehicles, minute sidekicks or monstrous behemoths.
- And Much More: Gain access to new feats, knowledge skills, magic (and not so magic) items, monsters and spells.
Exciting, no? Yet with your help we could add so much more! Here are some things we want to add to the World Guide or put in later supplements:
- More Art: More money hires us more professional artists, allowing us to immerse you in the tone and atmosphere of Terah itself.
- More Goodies: In addition to artists, we can use your donated money to hire more writers to add spells, items, and monsters to the world guide or future publications. As an example, one idea for feats that has yet to be explored is Metamagic item feats, which would allow you to modify magic items the same you would modify your spells.
- City Guides: If enough interest is shown in the setting itself, we could expand the world of Terah with supplements much like the Player Guide supplements for Golarion.
- More Adventure Paths: If adventure paths 1 and 2 aren't enough for you, any donations we get could go towards publishing even more adventure paths. The Steampunk genre is rife with adventure hooks and interesting set pieces, Terah even more so. We would love to have the chance to tell more stories about some of our favorite locations.
- Maps: More artists also means that we can include full-color maps of the cities and dungeons of Terah. Whether you need a quick adventure or just want to be prepared for when your players begin to explore Terah, maps keep your players playing... even after they wander away from the plot.
- Dirigible combat: A strong initial investment will allow us to publish a supplement
improving on Aerial combat in the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game. Use your fly skill to dominate the skies with biplanes, air-ships or rocket-launching hawk automatons.
- And Much, Much More: Who knows where Rossi Publishing Games will go after our first release? With a supportive community and a bit of money, we can continue to publish exciting, creative material.
Even if you don't feel comfortable donating, we'd love to have your support. Do you have an idea? Do you consider yourself a Steampunk afficionado? Email me at Valarian.Rossi@gmail.com and tell me all about it! If we think the idea fits or is particularly good, and you're willing to let us use it, you might get one of the rewards listed to the right. Your input only makes us better, and when it comes time to publish your own third-party stuff it never hurts to have a friend in the industry.
Read about the new charlatan base class and more at our blog: http://theterahproject.wordpress.com
In direct answer to a couple of common questions:
The page count is still a little up in the air. I can guarentee around 150 pages. The original plan was 250 and I know that we won't exceed that.
A hardcover for backing is impossible to estimate until I know 1. How many I'd need and 2. How many pages it would be. I'm not into promising pie I can't deliver. I also want to make sure that the cost of a hardcover is competitive. If I can't profitablely sell it to customers for $40 (the current industry sales price for a World Guide), I'm going to be very cautious before I enter the market.
The idea behind the kickstarter is to well, kickstart the company. I've seen more than one company push too far and end up having to use kickstarter over and over to stay in business. Starting with .pdfs allows me to avoid that cycle until I have a better idea of the playing field.
Do we plan on releasing a hardcover? For sure, but it will be once we know more about how we fit into a pretty crowded market.
The playtest is on Paizo.com with the pdf available from their downloads. You can search for "Terah Project" to find some of the discussion that has happened before.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
pledged of $7,500 goal
seconds to go
Apr 3, 2012 - Jun 2, 2012 (60 days)
Pledge $1 or more
Jaggar--All donators will receive a personal thank you from myself, their name in print in the world guide on a donations page, and a desktop background of their choice from the iconic characters created by Hugo Solis.Estimated delivery: Jul 2012
Pledge $5 or more
Payne - Donations for five dollars or more will recieve a PDF of the exclusive introductory module, Mr. Dumont and the Magnificent Time Piece. This module will premier at Paizo 2012 and is meant to perfectly capture the Steampunk flavor of Terah. Includes 6 premade characters, each exhibiting new rules from the Terah world guide.Estimated delivery: Jul 2012
Pledge $25 or more
Gil--A donation of $25 and more receives the World Guide pdf one week before it's available to the public, a special jump drive to store your Terah files on, and a poster of the cover. Includes everything in the Jaggar reward.Estimated delivery: Jul 2012
Pledge $35 or more
Agatha--A donation of $35 dollars or more receives the first adventure path pdf one week before it becomes available to the public. Includes everything in the Gil reward.Estimated delivery: Jul 2012
Pledge $45 or more
Jarrod--Those who donate $45 or more will receive the second adventure path pdf a week before it goes on sale. Includes all the Agatha rewards.Estimated delivery: Aug 2012
Pledge $100 or more
Simon--Donations of $100 or more that attend PaizoCon will have the opportunity to meet personally with Anthony Rossi, the Lead Designer of the product, and discuss with him at length the making of the Rune Caster and Psionic systems used in the game. Those unable to make it to PaizoCon can schedule an hour voice conference with Anthony. Includes all the steampunky goodness of the Jarrod Rewards.Estimated delivery: Aug 2012
Pledge $200 or more
5 backers All gone!
Benayle--Donations of $200 dollars or more will be able to have themselves written into the campaign setting itself. They will be able to choose whether they are a prominent historical or contemporary figure. If it is a historical figure, they will be able to paint themselves as an influential person whose actions had far-reaching effects on modern Terah. If it is a contemporary figure, they will be able to write themselves as a famous person in a position of power or respect. If they provide a photograph they will also recieve a picture of themselves done in the Victorian Steampunk style of Terah. Includes everything in the Simon reward.Estimated delivery: Jul 2012
Pledge $300 or more
4 backers Limited (1 of 5 left)
Klaus--Donations of $300 dollars or more will have a special sneak-peak preview of Terah before it's release as they create a 6th level character with the assistance of Lead Designer Anthony Rossi. This character will include a single bonus feat that has been written specifically for the character and will be included in the completed Terah World Guide. The donator will recieve a PDF of their character that includes descriptions of the spells, feats and equipment from the Terah World Guide as well as a portrait of their character. Those that attend PaizoCon can use this character in Mr. Dumont and the Magnificent Timepiece. Much like the Benayle reward, this character will be integrated into the campaign world as a person of prominence. Includes everything in the Benayle reward.Estimated delivery: Jul 2012
Pledge $500 or more
6 backers Limited (4 of 10 left)
The Other--Donations of $500 or more will recieve a life time subscription to PDFs of all future products published by Rossi Publishing Games. This will most likely include supplements for the Terah Campaign setting as well as other roleplaying game goodies. Includes everything in the Klaus reward.Estimated delivery: Jul 2012
Pledge $3,000 or more
0 backers Limited (1 of 1 left)
Vanille--Donations of $3000 or more will have the opportunity to play in an adventure especially designed and run for them by Lead Designer Anthony Rossi. The donor will be able to choose a convention that they are planning to attend. Anthony will attend that convention and run the game for the donor and up to five of their friends. As part of this reward, the donor's friends will also get to design their own Terah characters -- as per the Vanille reward -- and will get to have an extended conversation with Anthony Rossi on what they want/expect from the adventure. This adventure can be organized to fit into the schedule of the group members so that they may attend any other events they want to attend at the convention, and the adventure can even be spread out through multiple days at the convention. Includes everything in The Other reward. We'll include lifetime subscriptions for your friends as well and an extra two print copies from the stretch goal, so each person will get 2 copies of the limited edition World Guide. The backer is responsible for the expenses s/he and said friends aquire for going to the convention. Rossi Publishing is only handling the expense of bringing Anthony to the convention and staying there. If you have any questions please ask. I don't want someone taking this one thinking they're getting something they're not.Estimated delivery: Jul 2012